Census Data for Milesburg ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Milesburg a population of 1,077 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Milesburg a population of 1,123 people.
The community of Milesburg is located in Centre County. The 2010 Census gave Centre County; a population of 153,990 people. This means that Milesburg had 0.73% of the county's total population, making it Centre's 5th most populous community.
At the same time, Pennsylvania had a population of 12,702,379 people.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Milesburg has a total area of 0.45 square miles [1.2 km²].
Centre County has a land area of 1,109 square miles [2,874.7 km²]. At 0.45 square miles [1.2 km²], Milesburg has 0.04% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a community like Milesburg, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the community.
- Things like population, area and housing for Milesburg reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Milesburg might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 40° 56' 32" (or 40.94°)
- Lon: -77° 47' 30" (or -77.79°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Milesburg had 489 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 1,123 people, this averages 2.3 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Milesburg had a land area of 0.45 square miles [1.2 km²]. This translates to 1,093 Housing Units per square mile [422.4 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Milesburg had 482 Housing Units, a population of 1,187 people and a land area of 0.45 square miles [1.2 km²]. This gives a density of 2.46 people per Housing Unit and 1,074 Housing Units per square mile [414.9 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Milesburg and you need to be careful when comparing results between the censuses. More information about the nature of these the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Centre County ...
Milesburg is located in Centre County<4>.
The county had a population of 153,990 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 1,123 people, Milesburg represented 0.73% of the county's total.
In addition, where the community of Milesburg has a population density of 2,512 people per square mile [970 people/km²], Centre County averages 138.7 people per square mile [53.6 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Centre County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Milesburg, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Milesburg. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Milesburg or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Milesburg, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Milesburg.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 40.942495° (or 40°56'32" N)
- Lon: -77.791906° (or -77°47'30" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 40.942533° (or 40°56'33" N)
- Lon: -77.789207° (or -77°47'21" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 743 feet to the west<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#1215057) to Milesburg. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Milesburg. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 40.944505° (or 40°56'40" N)
- Lon: -77.786113° (or -77°47'10" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 1,755 feet to the southwest<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Milesburg. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Milesburg.
Miscellaneous Information for Milesburg ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Centre County or the community of Milesburg:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Milesburg:
- GNIS ID for Milesburg: 1215057
- GNIS ID for Centre County: 1214720
- GNIS ID for State of Pennsylvania: 1779798
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Milesburg is located in Census Region #1 (the Northeast Region) and Division #2 (the Middle Atlantic Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a community like Milesburg, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Milesburg. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Milesburg:16853<7>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Milesburg.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Pennsylvania
About Centre County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Milesburg. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Pennsylvania: https://www.pa.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Pennsylvania's counties, including Centre, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 91 degrees and a distance of 743 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 114 degrees and a distance of 1,755 feet.|
|<7>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Milesburg or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|