Around Mitchell ...
The largest community within a 50 mile [80 km] radius is Prineville. It is located about 38 miles [61 km] to the southwest of Mitchell. Prineville has a population of 11,300 people.<1>.
The next largest community is Fossil.
It is located about 30 miles [ km] to the north of Mitchell and has a population of 460 people.
For comparison, Mitchell has a population of 130 people.
The following is a sample of nearby communities: Keep in mind that when we give a distance, it's a 'straight-line' distance from Mitchell.<2>
- Antelope [Wasco County]
- Ashwood [Jefferson County]
- Clarno [Wasco County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clarno
- Clarno [Wasco County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the northwest of Mitchell
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clarno
- Dayville [Grant County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dayville
- Dayville [Grant County] lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<2> to the east of Mitchell
- Population from the 2020 Census: 144 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dayville have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dayville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Dayville<3>
- Fossil [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fossil
- Fossil [Wheeler County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the north of Mitchell
- Population from the 2020 Census: 455 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fossil
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Fossil<3>
- Kimberly [Grant County]
- Continue List (7 more) ...
- Lonerock [Gilliam County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lonerock
- Lonerock [Gilliam County] lies 38 miles [61.2 km]<2> to the north of Mitchell
- Population from the 2020 Census: 22 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lonerock
- Monument [Grant County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Monument
- Monument [Grant County] lies 40 miles [64.4 km]<2> to the northeast of Mitchell
- Population from the 2020 Census: 122 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Monument
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Monument<3>
- Paulina [Crook County]
- Post [Crook County]
- Prineville [Crook County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Prineville
- Prineville [Crook County] lies 38 miles [61.2 km]<2> to the southwest of Mitchell
- Population from the 2020 Census: 11,305 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Prineville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Prineville<3>
- Spray [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spray
- Spray [Wheeler County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the northeast of Mitchell
- Population from the 2020 Census: 157 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spray
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Spray<3>
- Winlock [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Winlock
- Winlock [Wheeler County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the northeast of Mitchell
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Winlock
For more communities neighboring Mitchell, please visit our County-by-County Page for Mitchell.
Wheeler County ...
Mitchell is located in Wheeler County<5>.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Wheeler County: Crook, Gilliam, Grant, Jefferson & Sherman.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Mitchell ...
It seems like there is always a nearby community with a name that seems interesting, maybe familiar or just catches our attention in some other way. We've collected some names which strike us as being curious or interesting. Our list can be found on the Tidbits & Trivia Page for Mitchell.
Airports Near Mitchell ...
When a trip includes a flight, we try to find an airport that best fits our travel plans.<6> To that purpose, we've assembled a list of that are relatively close to Mitchell and that information can be found on the Airports Page for Mitchell.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Mitchell ...
Looking for more information about Mitchell? A good source is the TripAdvisor website and we always start with their TripAdvisor page for Mitchell. Their page will give you an overview and then additional links that will help you to find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the TripAdvisor page for Mitchell, there are neighboring communities that also have TripAdvisor pages. A list of those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Mitchell.
Websites We Enjoy ...
When we're planning a trip, we like to check the following websites for sights, attractions and places to visit.
- For the State of Oregon:
- TripAdvisor Links for:
- Also of Interest:
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Oregon
About Wheeler County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Mitchell: mitchelloregon.us/
The official website for State of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/
|<1>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Mitchell.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Mitchell) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Mitchell. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from MitchellOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mitchell. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.5667, Longitude: -120.1540 |
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oregon's counties, including Wheeler, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<6>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Mitchell), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|