Welcome to Greenback ...
So far, we have found very little information about Greenback. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Greenback to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Greenback, please Contact Us.
Greenback would have been located within present day Josephine County<2>.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Greenback is 1,900 feet [579 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: The area where Greenback was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Greenback would have been located in the (541) & (458)<4> area codes.
Communities Also Named Greenback ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 5 communities that are also named Greenback - they are located in Arkansas, Kansas, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Tennessee.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Greenback.
Communities near Greenback ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Greenback.
- Grants Pass [Josephine County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grants Pass have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grants Pass
- Grants Pass [Josephine County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<6> to the south of Greenback
- Estimated population in 2019: 38,170 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grants Pass
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Grants Pass<7>
- Rogue River [Jackson County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rogue River have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rogue River
- Rogue River [Jackson County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<6> to the southeast of Greenback
- Estimated population in 2019: 2,331 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rogue River
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rogue River<7>
- Canyonville [Douglas County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Canyonville have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Canyonville
- Canyonville [Douglas County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<6> to the north of Greenback
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,965 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Canyonville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Canyonville<7>
- Glendale [Douglas County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Wolf Creek [Josephine County]
- Hugo [Josephine County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hugo
- Hugo [Josephine County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the southwest of Greenback
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hugo
- Leland [Josephine County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Leland
- Leland [Josephine County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the west of Greenback
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Leland
- Three Pines [Josephine County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Three Pines
- Three Pines [Josephine County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<6> to the southwest of Greenback
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Three Pines
- Azalea [Douglas County]
- Merlin [Josephine County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Greenback. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Greenback.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Greenback. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Greenback.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Greenback. See our Newspapers Page for Greenback.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Oregon
About Josephine County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Josephine County: www.co.josephine.or.us/
The official website for State of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Greenback, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oregon's counties, including Josephine, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Greenback - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (458) is an overlay for area code (541).|
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Greenback) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Greenback. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Greenback
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Greenback. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.6524, Longitude: -123.3115
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|