Welcome to Shirley ...
Although we found mention of Shirley during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Shirley was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Shirley to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Shirley, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Shirley might be (or was) located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
Communities Also Named Shirley ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 38 communities that are also named Shirley - they are located in Alabama (2), Arkansas, British Columbia, California (2), Colorado (3), Illinois (2), Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts (2), Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York (2), Ontario (2), Pennsylvania (2), South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Shirley.
Communities near Shirley ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Shirley.
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Mississaugas of Scugog Island
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mississaugas of Scugog Island
- Mississaugas of Scugog Island lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the north of Shirley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mississaugas of Scugog Island came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mississaugas of Scugog Island
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blackstock
- Blackstock lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the northeast of Shirley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Blackstock came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackstock
- Burketon Station
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Burketon Station
- Burketon Station lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the east of Shirley
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Burketon Station
- Gerrow's Beach
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gerrow's Beach
- Gerrow's Beach lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the northwest of Shirley
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gerrow's Beach
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hampton
- Hampton lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the southeast of Shirley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hampton came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hampton
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Shirley ...
Looking for more information about Shirley? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Shirley, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Shirley.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Shirley and then turned west". While Shirley could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Shirley as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Shirley could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Shirley) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Shirley. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Shirley
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Shirley. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.0581, Longitude: -78.8906
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|