Welcome to Durham ...
When the people of Durham refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Durhamite<1>
Durham was established in 1842.
Durham is 1,140 feet [347 m] above sea level.<2>.
Time Zone: Durham lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
Area codes for Durham: (519) & (226)<3>
The Canadian Postal Code for Durham: N0G<4>
Communities Also Named Durham ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 31 communities that are also named Durham - they are located in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana (2), Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey (2), New York, North Carolina, Nova Scotia, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas (3), Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Durham.
Communities near Durham ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Durham.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Minto
- Minto lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the south of Durham
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Minto
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clifford
- Clifford lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Durham
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clifford
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Edge Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Edge Hill
- Edge Hill lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the north of Durham
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Edge Hill
- Allan Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Allan Park
- Allan Park lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the west of Durham
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Allan Park came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Allan Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bentinck
- Bentinck lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the northwest of Durham
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bentinck came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bentinck
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bunessan
- Bunessan lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the east of Durham
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bunessan came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bunessan
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tartan
- Tartan lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the southeast of Durham
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Tartan came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tartan
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Glen
- Glen lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the east of Durham
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Glen came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Glen
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Durham ...
Looking for more information about Durham? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Durham, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Durham.
Adding Durham to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Durham was on a map titled Road Map for Ontario (from Shell Oil, 1955).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Durham on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Durham. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Durham refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Durham may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Durham - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Area code (226) is an overlay for area code (519).|
|<4>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Durham, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Durham). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Durham or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Durham) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Durham. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from DurhamOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Durham. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.1763, Longitude: -80.8185 |
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|