Welcome to Hanover ...
While we don't have a date for the founding of Hanover, you might get a feel for it by knowing that during our research the earliest mention that we found (so far) was on a map dated ?.
When the people of Hanover refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Hanoverian<1>
The town of Hanover is 920 feet [280 m] above sea level.<2>.
Time Zone: Hanover lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
Area codes for Hanover: (519) & (226)<3>
The Canadian Postal Code for Hanover: N4N<4>
Websites for Hanover ...
Official Website: www.hanover.ca/
Communities Also Named Hanover ...
Using our Gazetteer, we found that there are 39 communities that are also named Hanover - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas (2), Colorado, Connecticut (2), Georgia (2), Illinois, Indiana, Iowa (2), Kansas (2), Maine, Maryland (2), Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey (2), New Mexico, New York, Ohio (4), Pennsylvania (3), South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Hanover.
Communities near Hanover ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Hanover.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Minto
- Minto lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the southeast of Hanover.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Minto
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clifford
- Clifford lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the south of Hanover.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clifford
- Allan Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Allan Park
- Allan Park lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the east of Hanover.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Allan Park came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Allan Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hampden
- Hampden lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the east of Hanover.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hampden came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hampden
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lamlash
- Lamlash lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the northeast of Hanover.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lamlash came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lamlash
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elmwood
- Elmwood lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the north of Hanover.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elmwood
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Deemerton
- Deemerton lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the south of Hanover.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Deemerton came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Deemerton
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Hanover ...
Looking for more information about Hanover? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Hanover, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Hanover.
Adding Hanover to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
The earliest source we've referenced which mentioned Hanover was on a map titled Road Map for Ontario (from Shell Oil, 1955).
For more details, see References and Mentions for Hanover.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Hanover: www.hanover.ca/
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Hanover refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a town's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Hanover may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Hanover - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Area code (226) is an overlay for area code (519).|
|<4>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Hanover, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Hanover). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Hanover or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Hanover) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Hanover. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from HanoverOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hanover. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.1514, Longitude: -81.0249 |
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|