Our Genealogy Helper for Crewe ...
Although we found mention of Crewe during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Crewe was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Crewe (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Crewe. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Crewe:
- Websites specific to Ontario
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Ontario
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Stories from Ontario
Cemeteries Near Crewe ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Crewe.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Crewe covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Dungannon Cemetery
- St. Joseph's RC Cemetery
- Greenhill Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Greenhill Cemetery
- The Greenhill Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the southwest of Lucknow.Greenhill Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Crewe.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenhill Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2173959<2>
- Hope Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hope Cemetery
- Hope Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Crewe.
- Hope Cemetery has also been known as:
- Hope Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hope Cemetery
- St. Augustine RC Cemetery
- Lochalsh Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lochalsh Cemetery
- Lochalsh Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the north of Crewe.
- Lochalsh Cemetery has also been known as:
- Lochalsh / South Lochalsh Cemetery
- South Lochalsh Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lochalsh Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2315767<2>
- South Kinloss Cemetery
- Olivet United Church / Verdun Methodist Cemetery
- Verdun Methodist Cemetery
- Westfield Cemetery
- Huron Presbyterian Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Huron Presbyterian Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Huron Presbyterian Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Huron Presbyterian Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the north of Crewe.
- Huron Presbyterian Cemetery has also been known as:
- Lewis Cemetery
- Old Lewis Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Huron Presbyterian Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2563457<2>
- Maitland Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Maitland Cemetery
- The Maitland Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the east of Goderich.To be more accurate, Maitland Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the south of Crewe.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Maitland Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2195160<2>
- Continue List (121 more) ...
- Colborne Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Colborne Cemetery
- The Colborne Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the east of Goderich.Stated another way, Colborne Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the south of Crewe.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Colborne Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2310774<2>
- Langside Mennonite Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Langside Mennonite Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Langside Mennonite Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Langside Mennonite Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Crewe.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Langside Mennonite Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2396887<2>
- Ripley / Huron Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Ripley / Huron Cemetery
- The Ripley / Huron Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the west of Ripley.To be precise, Ripley / Huron Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the north of Crewe.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ripley / Huron Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2384347<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Crewe. See our List of 1890's Communities around Crewe.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Crewe and then turned east". While Crewe could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Crewe as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Crewe could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Ontario community named Crewe.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Crewe) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Crewe. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CreweOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Crewe. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.9008, Longitude: -81.6417 |
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|