Communities Also Named Brooke ...
We have found three communities that share the name Brooke.
There are two communities within Ontario that are also named Brooke.
Beyond Ontario, there is another community also named Brooke in Canada and the United States.
- Communities Located In Ontario ...
- The profile page for Brooke #1
- This Brooke lies 222 miles [357.3 km]<1> to the east.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brooke
- The profile page for Brooke #2
- We haven't found the location of this community yet.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Stafford County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Virginia community of Brooke [Stafford County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Brooke ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Big Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Copperkettle
- Copperkettle lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Brooke
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Copperkettle came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Copperkettle
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elmhedge
- Elmhedge lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the east of Brooke
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elmhedge came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elmhedge
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Garryowen
- Garryowen lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the east of Brooke
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Garryowen came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Garryowen
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Lake Charles
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lake Charles
- Lake Charles lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the north of Brooke
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lake Charles came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lake Charles
- Park Head
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Park Head
- Park Head lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the west of Brooke
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Park Head came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Park Head
- Shallow Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Squire
- Squire lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the south of Brooke
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Squire came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Squire
- Walters Falls
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Walters Falls
- Walters Falls lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the southeast of Brooke
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Walters Falls came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Walters Falls
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Walters Falls<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Zion
- Zion lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Brooke
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Zion
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Brooke. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Cecil Graham 'Ceece' Dillon (Professional hockey)
- Nellie L. Mooney McClung (Suffragette, politican, author, activist)
- Suffragette, politican, author, activist. She was born in Chatsworth (Ontario) on Monday October 20, 1873 and died in Victoria (British Columbia) on Saturday September 1, 1951 at the age of 77. She is buried at Royal Oak Burial Park (British Columbia).
- Chatsworth is located 9 miles [14.5 km] to the south of Brooke.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Nellie L. Mooney McClung<5>
How Far From Brooke to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Brooke to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Brooke and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 263 miles [423.3 km]<1> to the east northeast (ENE). If you could drive a straight line from Brooke to Parliament Hill, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 15 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 11 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,808 miles [9,347.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,542 miles [10,528.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,423 miles [7,118.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Brooke. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Brooke) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Brooke. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Brooke
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Brooke. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.5888, Longitude: -80.9579
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Brooke could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Brooke to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 309.929 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 306.629 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 304.295 degrees.||