Welcome to Avonry ...
Although we found mention of Avonry during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Avonry was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Avonry to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Avonry, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Avonry might be (or was) located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
We believe that Avonry would be found within the (519) and (226)<2> area codes.
Communities near Avonry ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Avonry.
- Port Huron [Saint Clair County]
- Marysville [Saint Clair County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marysville
- Marysville [Saint Clair County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the northwest of Avonry
- Estimated population in 2019: 9,672 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Marysville have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marysville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Marysville<4>
- Saint Clair [Saint Clair County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Marine City [Saint Clair County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marine City
- Marine City [Saint Clair County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the west of Avonry
- Estimated population in 2019: 4,058 people
- Former names for Marine City:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marine City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Marine City<4>
- Algonac [Saint Clair County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Algonac
- Algonac [Saint Clair County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the southwest of Avonry
- Estimated population in 2019: 4,037 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Algonac have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Algonac
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Algonac<4>
- Point Edward
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Point Edward
- Point Edward lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the north of Avonry
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Point Edward came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Point Edward
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Point Edward<4>
- Oil Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brigden
- Brigden lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the northeast of Avonry
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Brigden came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brigden
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Avonry. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Avonry.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Avonry. See our Newspapers Page for Avonry.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Avonry ...
Looking for more information about Avonry? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Avonry, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Avonry.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Avonry and then turned east". While Avonry could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Avonry as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Avonry could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Area code (226) is an overlay for area code (519).|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Avonry) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Avonry. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Avonry
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Avonry. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.7522, Longitude: -82.3522
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|