Census Data for Lincklaen ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Lincklaen a population of 377 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Lincklaen a population of 396 people.
The community of Lincklaen is located in Chenango County. The 2010 Census gave Chenango County; a population of 50,477 people. This means that Lincklaen had 0.78% of the county's total population, making it Chenango's 27th most populous community.
At the same time, New York had a population of 19,378,102 people.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Lincklaen has a total area of 26.27 square miles [68 km²]. Of this total, only a minor amount of the area is covered by water.
Chenango County has a land area of 893 square miles [2,314.3 km²]. At 26.26 square miles [68 km²], Lincklaen has 2.94% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a community like Lincklaen, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the community.
- Things like population, area and housing for Lincklaen reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Lincklaen might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 42° 40' 38" (or 42.68°)
- Lon: -75° 50' 37" (or -75.84°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Lincklaen had 247 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 396 people, this averages 1.6 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Lincklaen had a land area of 26.26 square miles [68 km²]. This translates to 9.4 Housing Units per square mile [3.63 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Lincklaen had 243 Housing Units, a population of 416 people and a land area of 26.27 square miles [68 km²]. This gives a density of 1.71 people per Housing Unit and 9.25 Housing Units per square mile [3.57 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Lincklaen and you need to be careful when comparing between the censuses. More information about these differences can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Chenango County ...
The community of Lincklaen is located in Chenango County<4>.
The county had a population of 50,477 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 396 people, Lincklaen represented 0.78% of the county's total.
In addition, where the community of Lincklaen has a population density of 15.07 people per square mile [5.82 people/km²], Chenango County averages 56.5 people per square mile [21.81 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Chenango County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Lincklaen, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Lincklaen. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Lincklaen or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Lincklaen, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Lincklaen.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 42.677344° (or 42°40'38" N)
- Lon: -75.843763° (or -75°50'37" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 42.686860° (or 42°41'12" N)
- Lon: -75.842619° (or -75°50'33" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 3,482 feet to the south<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#979151) to Lincklaen. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Lincklaen. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 42.686735° (or 42°41'12" N)
- Lon: -75.842694° (or -75°50'33" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 3,435 feet to the south<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Lincklaen. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Lincklaen.
Miscellaneous Information for Lincklaen ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Chenango County or the community of Lincklaen:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Lincklaen:
- GNIS ID for Lincklaen: 979151
- GNIS ID for Chenango County: 974107
- GNIS ID for State of New York: 1779796
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Lincklaen is located in Census Region #1 (the Northeast Region) and Division #2 (the Middle Atlantic Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Lincklaen.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Lincklaen. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Chenango County: www.co.chenango.ny.us/
The official website for State of New York: https://www.ny.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of New York's counties, including Chenango, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 174 degrees and a distance of 3,482 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 175 degrees and a distance of 3,435 feet.|