A visit to the Ione Cemetery ...
Since our focus is on geography, we don't have burial or interment information. Nor do we have any contact information for the Ione Cemetery. For information of that nature, we suggest the Find-A-Grave<1> website: The Ione Cemetery (FG ID #2197493)
We have organized the cemeteries in our Gazetteer based on a problem that we had while working on our own genealogy. Without specifying the cemeteries involved, we found an ancestor that we believed to have been buried in one cemetery was actually buried elsewhere.
We discovered that his burial had been refused at the last moment and the family had scrambled to make new arrangements. By looking at nearby cemeteries, the surrounding communities and in newspapers of the period, we were finally able to locate his burial site.
Should you find yourself in the same situation, we hope that our Gazetteer helps you discover your lost ancestor.
The Location of the Ione Cemetery ...
Jump to Google Maps centered on the Ione Cemetery
The Ione Cemetery is located in Nye County<2>.
The county seat for Nye County is located in Tonopah. Tonopah lies 63 miles [101.4 km]<3> to the south southeast of the Ione Cemetery .
We are using the following GPS coordinates (latitude and longitude) for the Ione Cemetery
Lat: 38.9449° (38° 56' 41")
Lon: -117.5938° (-117° 35' 37")
Websites to help with your research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their websites are open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that might help with the Ione Cemetery:
- Pages specific to Nevada:
- Pages specific to Nye County:
- Genealogy information for nearby counties:
- Cemetery Information and Directories:
- About the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ...
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Disaster Stories from Nevada
List of neighboring communities ...
The following 13 communities are within 30 miles [48.3 km]<3> of the Ione Cemetery.
- Berlin ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Berlin
- Berlin was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the south of Ione Cemetery.
- Broken Hills ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Broken Hills
- Broken Hills was located 23 miles [37 km]<3> to the west of Ione Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carvers
- Carvers lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<3> to the southeast of Ione Cemetery.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carvers
- Cloverdale ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cloverdale
- Cloverdale was located 26 miles [41.8 km]<3> to the south of Ione Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eastgate
- Eastgate lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<3> to the northwest of Ione Cemetery.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Eastgate have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eastgate
- Goldyke ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Goldyke
- Goldyke was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the southwest of Ione Cemetery.
- Grantsville ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grantsville
- Grantsville was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the south of Ione Cemetery.
- Green Springs ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Green Springs
- Green Springs was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the west of Ione Cemetery.
- Ione ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ione
- Ione was located less than 2 miles<3> to the northeast of Ione Cemetery.
- Jett ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jett
- Jett was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<3> to the southeast of Ione Cemetery.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Jett have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Lodi ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lodi
- Lodi was located 15 miles [24.1 km]<3> to the west of Ione Cemetery.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lodi have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Ophir ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ophir
- Ophir was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the east of Ione Cemetery.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ophir have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Ophir has also been known as:
- Toiyabe - City
- Twin River
For the full list of neighboring communities with details, please visit our extended List of Communities.
Nearby communities with newspapers ...
The following communities are those where newspapers have been published and are located in the vicinity of the Ione Cemetery. The following communities are located in Nye County.
More information can be found on our list of Local Newspapers for The Ione Cemetery.
- Grantsville - Historic
- Ione - Historic
List of the closest cemeteries ...
We know of 5 cemeteries that are within 20 miles [32.2 km] of the Ione Cemetery. The cemeteries are listed in alphabetical order.
Unless otherwise noted, the following cemeteries are located in Nye County.
- Berlin Cemetery [Nye County]
- Broken Hills Gravesite [Mineral County]
- Darrough Family Cemetery [Nye County]
- Old Miner Cemetery [Nye County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Old Miner Cemetery
- The Old Miner Cemetery is located 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the south of Carvers.Stated another way, Old Miner Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km] to the east of Ione Cemetery.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old Miner Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #1968349<1>
- Yomba Indian Tribal Cemetery [Nye County]
For an expanded list with details, please visit our List of cemeteries.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions ...
Our approach is to add the name of a cemetery whenever we see it mentioned - usually from newspapers, old books and maps. Typically we have little information to start with, but we continue to add detail as we find it.
We've created the following list to keep track of the sources that we found useful for the Ione Cemetery:
- Referenced GNIS Record ...
- GNIS ID #2099623 (Ione Cemetery)
- Note: GNIS record #2099623 has been archived by the USGS. It is no longer maintained by the USGS, nor can it be retrieved from their website.
- Class: cemetery Map Name: Ione
- County: Nye Elev: 2053
- Location given for GNIS #2099623 (Ione Cemetery)
- Lat: 38.945 Lon: -117.5937
- Lat: 38.945 Lon: -117.5937
- Open a Google Map centered on the above location.
- Referenced Find-A-Grave Entry: #2197493
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Nye County: www.co.nye.nv.us/
The official website for State of Nevada: nv.gov/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Nevada's counties, including Nye, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- ) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point at the Ione Cemetery. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.9449, Longitude: -117.5938 |
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|