Welcome to Arisaig ...
Although we found mention of Arisaig during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Arisaig was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Arisaig to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Arisaig, please Contact Us.
Arisaig is located on the northern coast of Nova Scotia (on the Northumberland Strait).
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Arisaig might be (or was) located is in the Atlantic Time Zone (AST/ADT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: AST- Heure Normale de l'Atlantique (HNA), ADT- Heure Avancée de l'Atlantique (HAA).
We believe that Arisaig would be found within the (902) area code.
The Canadian Postal Code for Arisaig: B2G<2>
Communities Also Named Arisaig ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Arisaig - it's located in Nova Scotia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Arisaig.
Communities near Arisaig ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Arisaig.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Knoydart
- Knoydart lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the southwest of Arisaig
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Knoydart came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Knoydart
- Malignant Cove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Malignant Cove
- Malignant Cove lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the northeast of Arisaig
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Malignant Cove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Maryvale
- Maryvale lies 5 miles [8 km]<3> to the east of Arisaig
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Maryvale came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Maryvale
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lismore
- Lismore lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the southwest of Arisaig
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lismore came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lismore
- Big Marsh
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Big Marsh
- Big Marsh lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the east of Arisaig
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Big Marsh. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Big Marsh
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Georgeville
- Georgeville lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the northeast of Arisaig
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Georgeville came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Georgeville
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ponds
- Ponds lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the southwest of Arisaig
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ponds came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ponds
- Bailey Brook
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bailey Brook
- Bailey Brook lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the southwest of Arisaig
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bailey Brook came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bailey Brook
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cloverville
- Cloverville lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the southeast of Arisaig
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cloverville came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cloverville
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Arisaig ...
Looking for more information about Arisaig? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Arisaig, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Arisaig.
Adding Arisaig to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Arisaig was on a map titled Map of Maritime Provinces of Canada (from Rand McNally, 1897).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Arisaig on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Arisaig and then turned west". While Arisaig could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Arisaig as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Arisaig could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Arisaig, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Arisaig). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Arisaig or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Arisaig) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Arisaig. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ArisaigOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Arisaig. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.7600, Longitude: -62.1625 |
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|