Census Data for Ruidoso Downs ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Ruidoso Downs a population of 2,612 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Ruidoso Downs a population of 2,815 people.
The village of Ruidoso Downs is located in Lincoln County. The 2010 Census gave Lincoln County; a population of 20,497 people. This means that Ruidoso Downs had 13.73% of the county's total population, making it Lincoln's 2nd most populous community.
At the same time, New Mexico had a population of 2,059,179 people, meaning that Ruidoso Downs had 0.14% of the total population of New Mexico - making it the state's 42nd most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Ruidoso Downs has a total area of 3.79 square miles [9.8 km²].
Lincoln County has a land area of 4,831 square miles [12,512.5 km²]. At 3.79 square miles [9.8 km²], Ruidoso Downs has 0.08% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a village like Ruidoso Downs, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the village.
- Things like population, area and housing for Ruidoso Downs reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Ruidoso Downs might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 33° 19' 52" (or 33.33°)
- Lon: -105° 35' 48" (or -105.6°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Ruidoso Downs had 1,494 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 2,815 people, this averages 1.88 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Ruidoso Downs had a land area of 3.79 square miles [9.8 km²]. This translates to 394.2 Housing Units per square mile [152.2 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Ruidoso Downs had 921 Housing Units, a population of 1,824 people and a land area of 2.13 square miles [5.5 km²]. This gives a density of 1.98 people per Housing Unit and 432.6 Housing Units per square mile [167 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Ruidoso Downs and you need to be careful when comparing values between the censuses. More information about the nature of these the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Lincoln County ...
Ruidoso Downs is located in Lincoln County<4>.
The county had a population of 20,497 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 2,815 people, Ruidoso Downs represented 13.73% of the county's total.
In addition, where the village of Ruidoso Downs has a population density of 742 people per square mile [286.8 people/km²], Lincoln County averages 4.24 people per square mile [1.64 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Lincoln County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Ruidoso Downs, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Ruidoso Downs. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Ruidoso Downs or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Ruidoso Downs, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Ruidoso Downs.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 33.331192° (or 33°19'52" N)
- Lon: -105.596749° (or -105°35'48" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 33.331690° (or 33°19'54" N)
- Lon: -105.596079° (or -105°35'45" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 273.2 feet to the southwest<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2411014) to Ruidoso Downs. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Ruidoso Downs. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 33.332023° (or 33°19'55" N)
- Lon: -105.596040° (or -105°35'45" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 372.1 feet to the southwest<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Ruidoso Downs. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Ruidoso Downs.
Miscellaneous Information for Ruidoso Downs ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Lincoln County or the village of Ruidoso Downs:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Ruidoso Downs:
- GNIS ID for Ruidoso Downs: 2411014
- GNIS ID for Lincoln County: 929116
- GNIS ID for State of New Mexico: 897535
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Ruidoso Downs is located in Census Region #4 (the West Region) and Division #8 (the Mountain Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Ruidoso Downs.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in New Mexico
About Lincoln County
About New Mexico
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Ruidoso Downs: www.ruidosodowns.us/
The official website for State of New Mexico: www.newmexico.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of New Mexico's counties, including Lincoln, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 131 degrees and a distance of 273.2 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 144 degrees and a distance of 372.1 feet.|