Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Mescalero, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Mescalero and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Mescalero:
- 33.157154, -105.776429
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Mescalero
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Mescalero ...
We have found one communities that share the name Mescalero.
There is one other community in New Mexico which is also named Mescalero.
Beyond New Mexico.
- Communities Located In New Mexico ...
- Dona Ana County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the New Mexico community of Mescalero [Dona Ana County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Mescalero ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- High Rolls [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for High Rolls
- High Rolls [Otero County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the south of Mescalero
- Jump to Google Maps centered on High Rolls
- Marcia [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marcia
- Marcia [Otero County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the south of Mescalero
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Marcia have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marcia
- Mayhill [Otero County]
- Mountain Park [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mountain Park
- Mountain Park [Otero County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the south of Mescalero
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain Park
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Silver Springs [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Silver Springs
- Silver Springs [Otero County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Mescalero
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Silver Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Silver Springs
- Sun Valley [Lincoln County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sun Valley
- Sun Valley [Lincoln County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the north of Mescalero
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sun Valley have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sun Valley
- Sunspot [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunspot
- Sunspot [Otero County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the south of Mescalero
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunspot
- Three Rivers [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Three Rivers
- Three Rivers [Otero County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the northwest of Mescalero
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Three Rivers have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Three Rivers
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Mescalero. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Jan Clayton (Actress)
- Bill Bauldin (Cartoonist)
How Far From Mescalero to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Mescalero to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Mescalero and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Alamogordo, which is the Seat of Otero County and lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the south southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Mescalero to Alamogordo, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- Santa Fe, which is the State Capital of New Mexico, lies 174 miles [280 km] to the north (N). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take about three hours, a buggy would take 7 days and walking would take 10 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,645 miles [2,647.4 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 65 days and walking would take 94 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,276 miles [11,709.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,031 miles [12,924.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,935 miles [9,551.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for New Mexico
About Otero County
About New Mexico
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Mescalero. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Otero County: www.co.otero.nm.us/
The official website for State of New Mexico: www.newmexico.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Mescalero could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Mescalero) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Mescalero. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from MescaleroOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mescalero. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 33.1572, Longitude: -105.7764 |
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Mescalero to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 326.31 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 324.077 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.898 degrees.||