Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Conchas, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Conchas and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Conchas:
- 35.409262, -104.192293
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Conchas
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Conchas ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Conchas, Double Mills is located 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the Southwest
How Far From Conchas to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Conchas to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Conchas and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Las Vegas, which is the Seat of San Miguel County and lies 59 miles [95 km]<1> to the west northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Conchas to Las Vegas, with an average speed<2> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- Santa Fe, which is the State Capital of New Mexico, lies 100 miles [160.9 km] to the west northwest (WNW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take three full days and walking would take 6 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,508 miles [2,426.9 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 59 days and walking would take 86 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,096 miles [11,419.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,852 miles [12,636.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,758 miles [9,266.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in New Mexico
About San Miguel County
About New Mexico
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Conchas. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of New Mexico: www.newmexico.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Conchas) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Conchas. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ConchasOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Conchas. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.4093, Longitude: -104.1923 |
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Conchas to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 325.463 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 323.315 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 317.958 degrees.||