Welcome to Acomita ...
So far, we have found very little information about Acomita. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Acomita to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Acomita, please Contact Us.
Acomita would have been located within present day Cibola County<2>.
The location of Acomita has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Acomita is 6,040 feet [1,841 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Acomita is about 1¼ mile [or ~1¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Acomita was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Acomita once stood is in the (505) area code.
Communities near Acomita ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Acomita.
- Grants [Cibola County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grants
- Grants [Cibola County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the northwest of Acomita
- Population from the 2020 Census: 8,835 people
- Former name for Grants:
- Grants Station
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grants
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Grants<6>
- Casa Blanca [Cibola County]
- Paraje [Cibola County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paraje
- Paraje [Cibola County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the east of Acomita
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paraje
- Encinal [Cibola County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Encinal
- Encinal [Cibola County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the northeast of Acomita
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Encinal
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Acoma Pueblo [Cibola County]
- Acoma Village [Cibola County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Acoma Village
- Acoma Village [Cibola County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the south of Acomita
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Acoma Village have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Acoma Village
- Laguna [Cibola County]
- Paguate [Cibola County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paguate
- Paguate [Cibola County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the northeast of Acomita
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Paguate have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paguate
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Paguate<6>
- Mesita [Cibola County]
- Seboyeta [Cibola County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Acomita. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Acomita.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Acomita. See our Newspapers Page for Acomita.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in New Mexico
About Cibola County
About New Mexico
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of New Mexico: www.newmexico.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Acomita, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of New Mexico's counties, including Cibola, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Acomita - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Acomita) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Acomita. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.0553, Longitude: -107.5717 In this case, the coordinates for Acomita have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|