Curious and Interesting Names Near Hawkes Bay ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bad Harbour
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bad Harbour
- Bad Harbour lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the north of Hawkes Bay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bad Harbour came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bad Harbour
- Bird Cove
- Daniel's Harbour
- Great Harbour Deep
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Great Harbour Deep
- Great Harbour Deep lies 33 miles [53.1 km]<1> to the southeast of Hawkes Bay
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Great Harbour Deep
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Plum Point
- Reefs Harbour
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Reefs Harbour
- Reefs Harbour lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the north of Hawkes Bay
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Reefs Harbour
- Shoal Cove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shoal Cove
- Shoal Cove lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the north of Hawkes Bay
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shoal Cove
- Spirity Cove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spirity Cove
- Spirity Cove lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the west of Hawkes Bay
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spirity Cove
How Far From Hawkes Bay to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Hawkes Bay to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Hawkes Bay and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 924 miles [1,487 km]<1> to the west southwest (WSW). If you could drive a straight line from Hawkes Bay to Parliament Hill, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take most of two days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 53 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 36 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 4,653 miles [7,488.3 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 5,376 miles [8,651.8 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 3,252 miles [5,233.6 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Newfoundland and Labrador
About Newfoundland and Labrador
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Hawkes Bay. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Newfoundland and Labrador: https://www.gov.nl.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Hawkes Bay) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Hawkes Bay. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Hawkes BayOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hawkes Bay. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.6099, Longitude: -57.1706 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Hawkes Bay to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 293.072 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 289.07 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 287.765 degrees.||