Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Hamar, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Hamar and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Hamar:
- 47.843840, -98.572708
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Hamar
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Hamar ...
We have found one communities that share the name Hamar.
Within North Dakota, the name Hamar is unique.
Beyond North Dakota, there is another community also named Hamar in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Baraga County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Michigan community of Hamar [Baraga County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Hamar ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Devils Lake [Ramsey County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Devils Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Devils Lake
- Devils Lake [Ramsey County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<3> to the northwest of Hamar
- Estimated population in 2019: 7,320 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Devils Lake
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Devils Lake<4>
- Divide [Eddy County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Divide have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Divide
- Divide [Eddy County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<3> to the west of Hamar
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Divide
- Grace City [Foster County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grace City have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grace City
- Grace City [Foster County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<3> to the southwest of Hamar
- Estimated population in 2019: 58 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grace City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Grace City<4>
- Harrisburg [Nelson County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Harrisburg have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Harrisburg
- Harrisburg [Nelson County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the east of Hamar
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Jessie [Griggs County]
- Keith [Ramsey County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Keith have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Keith
- Keith [Ramsey County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the northwest of Hamar
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Keith
- Lakota [Nelson County]
- Michigan [Nelson County]
- Michigan City [Nelson County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Michigan City have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Michigan City
- Michigan City [Nelson County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<3> to the northeast of Hamar
- Estimated population in 2019: 268 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Michigan City
How Far From Hamar to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Hamar to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Hamar and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- New Rockford, which is the Seat of Eddy County and lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<3> to the west southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Hamar to New Rockford, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just over a day.
- Bismarck, which is the State Capital of North Dakota, lies 125 miles [201.2 km] to the southwest (SW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take about two hours, a buggy would take 5 days and walking would take 8 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,238 miles [1,992.4 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 49 days and walking would take 71 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,232 miles [10,029.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,996 miles [11,259 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,943 miles [7,955 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in North Dakota
About Eddy County
About North Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Hamar. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of North Dakota: www.nd.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Hamar could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Hamar) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Hamar. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Hamar
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hamar. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.8438, Longitude: -98.5727
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Hamar to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 322.158 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 320.924 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 312.928 degrees.||