Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Dore, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Dore and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Dore:
- 47.920627, -104.031002
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Dore
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Dore ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cartwright [McKenzie County]
- Charbonneau [McKenzie County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Charbonneau have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Charbonneau
- Charbonneau [McKenzie County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the east of Dore
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Charbonneau
- Crane [Richland County]
- Marley [Williams County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Marley have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marley
- Marley [Williams County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the northeast of Dore
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marley
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Ridgelawn [Richland County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ridgelawn have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ridgelawn
- Ridgelawn [Richland County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the south of Dore
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ridgelawn
- Riverview [Richland County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Riverview have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Riverview
- Riverview [Richland County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the south of Dore
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Riverview
- Savage [Richland County]
- Springbrook [Williams County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Springbrook
- Springbrook [Williams County] lies 34 miles [54.7 km]<1> to the northeast of Dore
- Estimated population in 2019: 40 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Springbrook
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Dore. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Mimi Rogers Weddell (Actress, model)
- Actress, model. She was born in Williston (North Dakota) on Monday February 15, 1915 and died in New York (New York) on Thursday September 24, 2009 at the age of 94. She is buried at Green - Wood Cemetery (Kings County, New York).
- Williston is located 24 miles [38.6 km] to the northeast of Dore.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Mimi Rogers Weddell<4>
How Far From Dore to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Dore to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Dore and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Watford City, which is the Seat of McKenzie County and lies 36 miles [57.9 km]<1> to the east southeast. If you could walk a straight line from Dore to Watford City, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- Bismarck, which is the State Capital of North Dakota, lies 170 miles [273.6 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take about three hours, a buggy would take 7 days and walking would take 10 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,480 miles [2,381.8 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 58 days and walking would take 84 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,376 miles [10,261.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,143 miles [11,495.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,119 miles [8,238.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in North Dakota
About McKenzie County
About North Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Dore. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of North Dakota: www.nd.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Dore) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Dore. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Dore
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Dore. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.9206, Longitude: -104.0310
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Dore to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 326.276 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 325.629 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 316.169 degrees.||