Welcome to Stump Town ...
So far, we have found very little information about Stump Town. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Stump Town to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Stump Town, please Contact Us.
Stump Town would have been located within present day Granite County<2>.
The location of Stump Town has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Stump Town is 6,070 feet [1,850 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Stump Town is about 1¼ mile [or ~1¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Stump Town was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Stump Town once stood is in the (406) area code.
Communities Also Named Stump Town ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two Montana communities named Stump Town: This one is located in Granite County and the other is located in Deer Lodge County.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Stump Town.
Communities near Stump Town ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Stump Town.
- Drummond [Granite County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Drummond
- Drummond [Granite County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the southeast of Stump Town
- Population from the 2020 Census: 330 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Drummond
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Drummond<6>
- Greenough [Missoula County]
- Bearmouth [Granite County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bearmouth
- Bearmouth [Granite County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the south of Stump Town
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bearmouth have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Ovando [Powell County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Clinton [Missoula County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clinton
- Clinton [Missoula County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the west of Stump Town
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Clinton have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clinton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Clinton<6>
- Hall [Granite County]
- Helmville [Powell County]
- Jens [Powell County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jens
- Jens [Powell County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the southeast of Stump Town
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jens
- Bonner [Missoula County]
- Piltzville [Missoula County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Piltzville
- Piltzville [Missoula County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<5> to the west of Stump Town
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Piltzville
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Stump Town. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Stump Town.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Stump Town. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Stump Town.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Stump Town. See our Newspapers Page for Stump Town.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Montana
About Granite County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Stump Town, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Granite, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Stump Town - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Stump Town) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Stump Town. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Stump TownOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Stump Town. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.8283, Longitude: -113.3467 In this case, the coordinates for Stump Town have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|