Welcome to Ovando ...
Ovando is located in Powell County<1> (at the time of its founding, Ovando was located in Deer Lodge County).
The pronunciation of Ovando: oh-VAN-doh<2>
Ovando is 4,080 feet [1,244 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Ovando is about ¾ mile [or 1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Ovando lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The area code for Ovando: (406)
The ZIP code for Ovando: 59854<4>
Adding Ovando to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Ovando in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Ovando was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Ovando on a map titled Shell Oil Map of Montana (1951).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Ovando on our Genealogy Page.
Communities near Ovando ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Ovando.
- Helmville [Powell County]
- Reynolds City [Powell County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Reynolds City
- Reynolds City [Powell County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the southwest of Ovando
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Reynolds City have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Reynolds City
- Garnet [Granite County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Garnet
- Garnet [Granite County] was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Ovando
- Greenough [Missoula County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Stump Town [Granite County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Stump Town
- Stump Town [Granite County] was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Ovando
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Stump Town have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Beartown [Granite County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beartown
- Beartown [Granite County] was located 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the southwest of Ovando
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beartown have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Seeley Lake [Missoula County]
- Lincoln [Lewis and Clark County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lincoln
- Lincoln [Lewis and Clark County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the east of Ovando
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lincoln have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lincoln
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lincoln<6>
- Bearmouth [Granite County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bearmouth
- Bearmouth [Granite County] was located 23 miles [37 km]<5> to the southwest of Ovando
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bearmouth have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Drummond [Granite County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Ovando. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Ovando.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Ovando. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Ovando.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Ovando. See our Newspapers Page for Ovando.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Ovando ...
Looking for more information about Ovando? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Ovando, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Ovando.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Montana
About Powell County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Ovando. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Powell, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Ovando. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Ovando - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Ovando). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Ovando or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Ovando) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Ovando. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from OvandoOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ovando. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.0200, Longitude: -113.1302 |
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|