Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Corral, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Corral and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Corral:
- 46.274369, -113.432847
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Corral
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Corral ...
We have found three communities that share the name Corral.
Within Montana, the name Corral is unique.
Beyond Montana, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- San Diego County
- This community is historic<1> and although located in San Diego County, we don't know where within the county.
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the San Diego County community of Corral.
- Camas County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Idaho community of Corral [Camas County].
- New Mexico
- Eddy County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the New Mexico community of Corral [Eddy County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Corral ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cable City [Deer Lodge County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cable City
- Cable City [Deer Lodge County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the southeast of Corral
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cable City have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Clark [Granite County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clark
- Clark [Granite County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the northeast of Corral
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Clark have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Echo Lake [Granite County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Echo Lake
- Echo Lake [Granite County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the east of Corral
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Echo Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Georgetown [Deer Lodge County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Georgetown
- Georgetown [Deer Lodge County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the southeast of Corral
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Georgetown
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Gold Coin [Deer Lodge County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gold Coin
- Gold Coin [Deer Lodge County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the southeast of Corral
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gold Coin have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Granite [Granite County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Granite
- Granite [Granite County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the east of Corral
- Porters Corner [Granite County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Porters Corner
- Porters Corner [Granite County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<3> to the east of Corral
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Porters Corner have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Porters Corner
- Silver Lake [Deer Lodge County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Silver Lake
- Silver Lake [Deer Lodge County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the southeast of Corral
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Silver Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Corral. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Bert Glennon (Cinematographer)
- Cinematographer. He was born in Anaconda (Montana) on Sunday November 19, 1893 and died in Sherman Oaks (California) on Thursday June 29, 1967 at the age of 73. He is buried at San Fernando Mission Cemetery (Los Angeles County, California).
- Anaconda is located 24 miles [38.6 km] to the southeast of Corral.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Bert Glennon<5>
How Far From Corral to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Corral to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Corral and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Philipsburg, which is the Seat of Granite County and lies just to the East Northeast.
- Helena, which is the State Capital of Montana, lies 70 miles [112.7 km]<3> to the east northeast (ENE). If you could drive a straight line from Corral to Helena, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take three full days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,900 miles [3,057.8 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 75 days and walking would take 108 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,695 miles [10,774.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,464 miles [12,012.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,494 miles [8,841.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Montana
About Granite County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Corral. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Corral, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Corral could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Corral) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Corral. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.2744, Longitude: -113.4328 In this case, the coordinates for Corral have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Corral to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.555 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.853 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.183 degrees.||