Welcome to Augusta ...
Augusta is located in Lewis and Clark County<1>.
The pronunciation of Augusta: uh-GUS-tuh<2>
When the people of Augusta refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Augustan<3>
Augusta is 4,060 feet [1,237 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Augusta is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Augusta lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Augusta lies within the (406) area code.
The ZIP code for Augusta: 59410<5>
Adding Augusta to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Augusta in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Augusta was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Augusta on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Augusta ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 29 communities that are also named Augusta - they are located in Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana (2), Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana (3), Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Ontario, South Dakota, Texas, West Virginia (2) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Augusta.
Communities near Augusta ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Augusta.
- Fairfield [Teton County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fairfield
- Fairfield [Teton County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<6> to the northeast of Augusta
- Estimated population in 2019: 723 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fairfield have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fairfield
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Fairfield<8>
- Simms [Cascade County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Simms
- Simms [Cascade County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<6> to the east of Augusta
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Simms have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Simms
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Simms<8>
- Choteau [Teton County]
- Dearborn Crossing [Lewis and Clark County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dearborn Crossing
- Dearborn Crossing [Lewis and Clark County] was located 24 miles [38.6 km]<6> to the southeast of Augusta
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dearborn Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Dearborn Crossing has also been known as:
- Dearborn City
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Greenfield [Teton County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenfield
- Greenfield [Teton County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<6> to the northeast of Augusta
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenfield
- Fort Shaw [Cascade County]
- Sun River [Cascade County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sun River
- Sun River [Cascade County] lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<6> to the east of Augusta
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sun River have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sun River
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sun River<8>
- Bynum [Teton County]
- Cascade [Cascade County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cascade
- Cascade [Cascade County] lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<6> to the southeast of Augusta
- Estimated population in 2019: 679 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cascade have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cascade
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Cascade<8>
- Craig [Lewis and Clark County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Augusta. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Augusta.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Augusta. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Augusta.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Augusta. Our list includes 4 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Augusta.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Augusta ...
Looking for more information about Augusta? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Augusta, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Augusta.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Montana Community
About Lewis and Clark County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Augusta. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Lewis and Clark County: www.co.lewis-clark.mt.us/
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Lewis and Clark, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Augusta. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<3>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Augusta refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Augusta may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Augusta - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Augusta). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Augusta or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Augusta) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Augusta. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AugustaOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Augusta. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.4914, Longitude: -112.3932 |
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<8>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|