Welcome to Detroit ...
The city of Detroit is located in Wayne County<1> and is the County Seat for Wayne County.
When the people of Detroit refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Detroiter<2>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Detroit has a population of 670,031 people<3> (see below for details).
Detroit was established in 1701.
The community of Detroit is 630 feet [192 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: Detroit lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Detroit lies within the (313) area code.
The ZIP codes for Detroit: 48201-48202, 48204-48211, 48213-48217, 48219, 48221-48224, 48226-48228, 48231-48235, 48238, 48242-48244, 48255, 48260, 48264-48269, 48272, 48275, 48277-48279, 48288<5>
Websites for Detroit ...
Official Website: www.detroitmi.gov/
Chamber of Commerce: www.detroitchamber.com/
Junior League: www.jldetroit.org/
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Detroit had an population of 670,031 people. This is a decrease of 6.13% since the 2010 Census (or a decrease of 29.56% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Detroit had a population of 713,777 people (which is 39.21% of the total population of Wayne County). This makes Detroit the county's most populous community.
The population of Detroit represents 7.22% of the population of Michigan (which has 9,883,640 people), making it the state's most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 713,777 people, the population of Detroit decreased 24.97% from the 2000 Census (which had a count of 951,270 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Detroit.
Communities Also Named Detroit ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 11 communities that are also named Detroit - they are located in Alabama, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas and Washington.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Detroit.
Communities near Detroit ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Detroit.
- Warren [Macomb County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Warren have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Warren
- Warren [Macomb County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<7> to the north of Detroit
- Estimated population in 2019: 133,943 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Warren
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Warren<8>
- Sterling Heights [Macomb County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sterling Heights have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sterling Heights
- Sterling Heights [Macomb County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<7> to the north of Detroit
- Estimated population in 2019: 132,438 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sterling Heights
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sterling Heights<8>
- Dearborn [Wayne County]
- Livonia [Wayne County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Troy [Oakland County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Troy
- Troy [Oakland County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<7> to the north of Detroit
- Estimated population in 2019: 84,092 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Troy
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Troy<8>
- Westland [Wayne County]
- Farmington Hills [Oakland County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Farmington Hills have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Farmington Hills
- Farmington Hills [Oakland County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<7> to the northwest of Detroit
- Estimated population in 2019: 80,612 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Farmington Hills
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Farmington Hills<8>
- Southfield [Oakland County]
- Taylor [Wayne County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Taylor have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Taylor
- Taylor [Wayne County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<7> to the southwest of Detroit
- Estimated population in 2019: 60,922 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Taylor
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Taylor<8>
- Royal Oak [Oakland County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Royal Oak
- Royal Oak [Oakland County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<7> to the northwest of Detroit
- Estimated population in 2019: 59,277 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Royal Oak
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Royal Oak<8>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Detroit. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Detroit.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Detroit. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Detroit.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Detroit. Our list includes 453 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Detroit.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Detroit ...
Looking for more information about Detroit? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Detroit, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Detroit.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Michigan
About Wayne County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Detroit: www.detroitmi.gov/
The official website for Wayne County: www.waynecounty.com/
The official website for State of Michigan: https://www.michigan.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Michigan's counties, including Wayne, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Detroit refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Detroit may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Detroit.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Detroit - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Detroit). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Detroit or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
Our list of ZIP Codes for Detroit includes: 48201, 48204, 48205, 48206, 48207, 48208, 48209, 48210, 48213, 48214, 48215, 48216, 48219, 48221, 48222, 48223, 48226, 48227, 48231, 48232, 48233, 48234, 48238, 48242, 48243, 48255, 48260, 48264, 48265, 48266, 48267, 48268, 48272, 48275, 48277, 48278 & 48279.
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Detroit) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Detroit. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Detroit
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Detroit. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.3401, Longitude: -83.0531
|<8>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|