Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Fodie, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Fodie and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Fodie:
- 30.849095, -83.540608
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Fodie
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Fodie ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Dixie [Brooks County]
- Gates [Brooks County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gates
- Gates [Brooks County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the east of Fodie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gates have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Golden [Brooks County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Golden
- Golden [Brooks County] was located 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the east of Fodie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Golden have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Kennedy [Brooks County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kennedy
- Kennedy [Brooks County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the north of Fodie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kennedy have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Pebble Hill [Brooks County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pebble Hill
- Pebble Hill [Brooks County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the northwest of Fodie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pebble Hill have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pebble Hill
- Quitman [Brooks County]
- Shiver [Brooks County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shiver
- Shiver [Brooks County] lies less than 2 miles<1> to the south of Fodie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Shiver have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shiver
- Spain [Brooks County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spain
- Spain [Brooks County] lies less than 2 miles<1> to the north of Fodie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Spain have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spain
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Fodie. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Billy Joe Royal (Singer)
- Archie Virgil Ware (Negro League Baseball)
- Demond Wilson (Actor, author, pastor)
- Full name: Grady Demond Wilson
- Actor, author, pastor. He was born in Valdosta (GA) on October 13, 1946 (a Sunday)
- Valdosta is located 15 miles [24.1 km] to the east of Fodie.
- Joanne Woodward (Oscar winning actress, producer, activist, philanthropist)
- Full name: Joanne Gignilliat Trimmier Woodward
- Oscar winning actress, producer, activist, philanthropist. She was born in Thomasville (GA) on February 27, 1930 (a Thursday)
- Thomasville is located 26 miles [41.8 km] to the west of Fodie.
How Far From Fodie to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Fodie to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Fodie and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Quitman, which is the Seat of Brooks County and lies just to the South Southwest.
- Atlanta, which is the State Capital of Georgia, lies 206 miles [331.5 km]<1> to the north northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from Fodie to Atlanta, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 12 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 666 miles [1,071.8 km] to the north northeast (NNE). Driving would take just about two full days, a buggy would take 26 days and walking would take 38 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,536 miles [10,518.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,223 miles [11,624.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,109 miles [8,222.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Georgia
About Brooks County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Fodie. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Brooks County: www.brooks-county.org/
The official website for State of Georgia: https://georgia.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Fodie) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Fodie. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from FodieOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fodie. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 30.8491, Longitude: -83.5406 |
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Fodie to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 311.618 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 306.539 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 309.64 degrees.||