Welcome to Asbury ...
So far, we have found very little information about Asbury. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Asbury to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Asbury, please Contact Us.
Asbury would have been located within present day Burke County<2>.
The location of Asbury has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Asbury is 260 feet [79 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: The area where Asbury was located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Communities Also Named Asbury ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two Georgia communities named Asbury: This one is located in Burke County and the other is located in Troup County.
Beyond Georgia, there are 33 communities that are also named Asbury - they are located in Alabama (4), Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland (2), Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey (2), New York (2), North Carolina (4), Ohio (2), Pennsylvania (2), South Carolina (2), Tennessee (7) and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Asbury.
Communities near Asbury ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Asbury.
- Drone [Burke County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Drone
- Drone [Burke County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the west of Asbury
- Population from the 2010 Census: 14,568 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Drone have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Drone
- Thomas Station [Burke County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Thomas Station
- Thomas Station [Burke County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<5> to the west of Asbury
- Estimated population in 2019: 8,752 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Thomas Station have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Thomas Station
- Waynesboro [Burke County]
- Millen [Jenkins County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Millen
- Millen [Jenkins County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the south of Asbury
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,762 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Millen
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Millen<6>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Sardis [Burke County]
- Hiltonia [Screven County]
- Hilltonia [Screven County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hilltonia
- Hilltonia [Screven County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the southeast of Asbury
- Population from the 2010 Census: 262 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hilltonia came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hilltonia
- Girard [Burke County]
- Vidette [Burke County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vidette
- Vidette [Burke County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the west of Asbury
- Population from the 2020 Census: 105 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vidette
- Munnerlyn [Burke County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Munnerlyn
- Munnerlyn [Burke County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the south of Asbury
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Munnerlyn have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Munnerlyn
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Asbury. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Asbury.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Asbury. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Asbury.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Asbury. See our Newspapers Page for Asbury.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Georgia
About Burke County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Burke County: www.burkecounty-ga.gov/
The official website for State of Georgia: https://georgia.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Asbury, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Georgia's counties, including Burke, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Asbury - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Asbury) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Asbury. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 33.0224, Longitude: -81.9262 In this case, the coordinates for Asbury have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|