Welcome to Alta ...
So far, we have found very little information about Alta. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Alta to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Alta, please Contact Us.
Alta would have been located within present day San Miguel County<2>.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Alta is 11,050 feet [3,368 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Alta is about 2 miles [or ~3¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Alta was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Alta would have been located in the (970) area code.
Communities Also Named Alta ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 21 communities that are also named Alta - they are located in Alabama, California (2), Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas (3), Kentucky, Montana (2), North Dakota, Ohio (2), Tennessee, Utah (2), West Virginia (2) and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Alta.
Communities near Alta ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Alta.
- Telluride [San Miguel County]
- Mountain Village [San Miguel County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mountain Village
- Mountain Village [San Miguel County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<4> to the north of Alta
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,426 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mountain Village have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain Village
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mountain Village<5>
- Ridgway [Ouray County]
- Ouray [Ouray County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Silverton [San Juan County]
- Rico [Dolores County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rico
- Rico [Dolores County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the southwest of Alta
- Estimated population in 2019: 231 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rico have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rico
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rico<5>
- Sawpit [San Miguel County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sawpit
- Sawpit [San Miguel County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the northwest of Alta
- Estimated population in 2019: 39 people
- Sawpit has also been known as:
- Saw Pit
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sawpit
- Keystone [San Miguel County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Keystone
- Keystone [San Miguel County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the north of Alta
- Liberty Bell [San Miguel County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Liberty Bell
- Liberty Bell [San Miguel County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the northeast of Alta
- Pandora [San Miguel County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pandora
- Pandora [San Miguel County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the northeast of Alta
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pandora
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Alta. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Alta.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Alta. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Alta.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Alta. See our Newspapers Page for Alta.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Colorado
About San Miguel County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for San Miguel County: www.sanmiguelcounty.org/
The official website for State of Colorado: https://www.colorado.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Alta, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Colorado's counties, including San Miguel, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Alta - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Alta) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Alta. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AltaOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alta. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.8863, Longitude: -107.8532 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|