Welcome to Moran ...
So far, we have found very little information about Moran. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Moran to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Moran, please Contact Us.
Moran would have been located within present day Lassen County<2>.
The location of Moran has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Moran is 5,280 feet [1,609 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Moran is 1 mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Moran was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Moran once stood is in the (530) area code.
Communities Also Named Moran ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two California communities named Moran: This one is located in Lassen County and the other is located in Sierra County.
Beyond California, there are 16 communities that are also named Moran - they are located in Arkansas, British Columbia, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan (2), Ohio, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Moran.
Communities near Moran ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Moran.
- Ravendale [Lassen County]
- Madeline [Lassen County]
- Horse Lake [Lassen County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Horse Lake
- Horse Lake [Lassen County] was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the south of Moran
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Horse Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Antelope [Lassen County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Antelope
- Antelope [Lassen County] was located 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the south of Moran
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Antelope. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Likely [Modoc County]
- Karlo [Lassen County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Karlo
- Karlo [Lassen County] was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<5> to the south of Moran
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Karlo have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former name for Karlo:
- McArthur [Modoc County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for McArthur
- McArthur [Modoc County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<5> to the north of Moran
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for McArthur have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McArthur
- Cantrall Mill [Modoc County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cantrall Mill
- Cantrall Mill [Modoc County] was located 30 miles [48.3 km]<5> to the north of Moran
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cantrall Mill have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Adin [Modoc County]
- Eagleville [Modoc County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Moran. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Moran.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Moran. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Moran.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Moran. See our Newspapers Page for Moran.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in California
About Lassen County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Lassen County: www.co.lassen.ca.us/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Moran, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Lassen, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Moran - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Moran) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Moran. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 40.9016, Longitude: -120.4902 In this case, the coordinates for Moran have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|