Welcome to Madeline ...
Madeline is located in Lassen County<1>.
Madeline is 5,320 feet [1,622 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the elevation of Madeline is 1 mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Madeline lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
The telephone area code for Madeline: (530)
The ZIP code for Madeline: 96119<3>
Adding Madeline to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Madeline in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Madeline was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Madeline on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Madeline ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 3 communities that are also named Madeline - they are located in Kansas, South Carolina and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Madeline.
Communities near Madeline ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Madeline.
- Likely [Modoc County]
- Termo [Lassen County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Termo
- Termo [Lassen County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the south of Madeline
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Termo
- Ravendale [Lassen County]
- Cantrall Mill [Modoc County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cantrall Mill
- Cantrall Mill [Modoc County] was located 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the north of Madeline
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cantrall Mill have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- McArthur [Modoc County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for McArthur
- McArthur [Modoc County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the north of Madeline
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for McArthur have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McArthur
- Adin [Modoc County]
- Eagleville [Modoc County]
- Horse Lake [Lassen County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Horse Lake
- Horse Lake [Lassen County] was located 26 miles [41.8 km]<4> to the south of Madeline
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Horse Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Antelope [Lassen County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Antelope
- Antelope [Lassen County] was located 29 miles [46.7 km]<4> to the south of Madeline
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Antelope. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Alturas [Modoc County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Alturas
- Alturas [Modoc County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<4> to the north of Madeline
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,542 people
- Former name for Alturas:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alturas
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Alturas<5>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Madeline. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Madeline.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Madeline. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Madeline.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Madeline. See our Newspapers Page for Madeline.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Madeline ...
Looking for more information about Madeline? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Madeline, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Madeline.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in California
About Lassen County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Madeline. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Lassen County: www.co.lassen.ca.us/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Lassen, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Madeline - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Madeline). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Madeline or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Madeline) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Madeline. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from MadelineOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Madeline. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.0517, Longitude: -120.4752 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|