Welcome to Abbotsford ...
The city of Abbotsford was established in 1892 and was incorporated February 22, 1924.
The origin (or the toponymy) of Abbotsford: Named after Harry Braithwaite Abbott (1829-1915), the General Superintendent of CPR's Pacific Division.
Abbotsford is 120 feet [37 m] above sea level.<1>.
Time Zone: Abbotsford lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: PST- Heure Normale du Pacifique (HNP), PDT- Heure Avancée du Pacifique (HAP).
Area codes for Abbotsford: (604) and (778)<2>
The Canadian Postal Codes for Abbotsford: V2S, V2T, V3G, V4X<3>
Websites for Abbotsford ...
Official Website: www.city.abbotsford.bc.ca/
Chamber of Commerce: www.abbotsfordchamber.com/
Communities Also Named Abbotsford ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 4 communities that are also named Abbotsford - they are located in Michigan, North Dakota, Quebec and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Abbotsford.
Communities near Abbotsford ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Abbotsford.
- Maple Ridge
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Maple Ridge came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Maple Ridge
- Maple Ridge lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the northwest of Abbotsford
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Maple Ridge
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Maple Ridge
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chilliwack came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chilliwack
- Chilliwack lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the northeast of Abbotsford
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chilliwack
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Chilliwack
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Lynden [Whatcom County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lynden
- Lynden [Whatcom County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the southwest of Abbotsford
- Estimated population for 2018: 14,736 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lynden
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lynden
- Ferndale [Whatcom County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ferndale
- Ferndale [Whatcom County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the southwest of Abbotsford
- Estimated population for 2018: 14,564 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ferndale
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Ferndale
- Everson [Whatcom County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Everson
- Everson [Whatcom County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the south of Abbotsford
- Estimated population for 2018: 2,779 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Everson
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Everson
- Nooksack [Whatcom County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Nooksack have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nooksack
- Nooksack [Whatcom County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the south of Abbotsford
- Estimated population for 2018: 1,576 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nooksack
- Cultus Lake
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Abbotsford. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Abbotsford.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Abbotsford. See our Newspapers Page for Abbotsford.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Abbotsford ...
Looking for more information about Abbotsford? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Abbotsford, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Abbotsford.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a British Columbia Community
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Abbotsford: www.city.abbotsford.bc.ca/
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Abbotsford - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (778) is an overlay for area code (604).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Abbotsford, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Abbotsford). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Abbotsford or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Abbotsford) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Abbotsford. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Abbotsford
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Abbotsford. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.0500, Longitude: -122.3000
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|