Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Old Glory, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Old Glory and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Old Glory:
- 31.435247, -111.253336
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Old Glory
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Santa Cruz County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Santa Cruz County
- Since Old Glory is near Pima County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Pima County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Old Glory ...
We have found two communities that share the name Old Glory.
Within Arizona, the name Old Glory is unique.
Beyond Arizona, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Blount County
- This Old Glory is located in Blount County and lies 1,588 miles [2,555.6 km]<1> to the east northeast of the Old Glory that is located in Santa Cruz County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old Glory
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Blount County community of Old Glory.
- Stonewall County
- This Old Glory is located in Stonewall County and lies 663 miles [1,067 km]<1> to the east northeast of the Old Glory that is located in Santa Cruz County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old Glory
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Stonewall County community of Old Glory.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Old Glory ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Green Valley [Pima County]
- Kino Springs [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kino Springs
- Kino Springs [Santa Cruz County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the east of Old Glory
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kino Springs
- Partridge [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Partridge
- Partridge [Santa Cruz County] was located 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the northwest of Old Glory
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Partridge have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Ruby [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ruby
- Ruby [Santa Cruz County] was located 2 miles [3.2 km]<1> to the northeast of Old Glory
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Sandwash Mill [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sandwash Mill
- Sandwash Mill [Pima County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the west of Old Glory
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sandwash Mill have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sandwash Mill
- Trench Camp [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Trench Camp
- Trench Camp [Santa Cruz County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the east of Old Glory
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Trench Camp have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Trench Camp
- Yank's Spring [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Yank's Spring
- Yank's Spring [Santa Cruz County] was located 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the east of Old Glory
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Yank's Spring. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
How Far From Old Glory to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Old Glory to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<5> community of Old Glory once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Old Glory and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Nogales, which is the Seat of Santa Cruz County and lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the east southeast. If you could walk a straight line from Old Glory to Nogales, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 hours.
- Phoenix, which is the State Capital of Arizona, lies 147 miles [236.6 km] to the north northwest (NNW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 6 days and walking would take 9 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,986 miles [3,196.2 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 78 days and walking would take 113 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,545 miles [12,142.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,307 miles [13,368.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 6,230 miles [10,026.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Arizona
About Santa Cruz County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Santa Cruz County: www.co.santa-cruz.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Old Glory) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Old Glory. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Old Glory
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Old Glory. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.4352, Longitude: -111.2533 In this case, the coordinates for Old Glory have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Old Glory, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Old Glory to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 330.184 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.568 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.745 degrees.||