Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Oatman, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Oatman and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Oatman:
- 35.026623, -114.383866
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Oatman
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Oatman ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bullhead City [Mohave County]
- Davis Dam [Mohave County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Davis Dam
- Davis Dam [Mohave County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the northwest of Oatman
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Davis Dam have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Davis Dam
- Fivemile Landing [Mohave County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fivemile Landing
- Fivemile Landing [Mohave County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the southwest of Oatman
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fivemile Landing
- Golden Valley [Mohave County]
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Hardyville [Mohave County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hardyville
- Hardyville [Mohave County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the west of Oatman
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hardyville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Harris [Mohave County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Harris
- Harris [Mohave County] was located 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the northeast of Oatman
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Harris have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Katherine [Mohave County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Katherine
- Katherine [Mohave County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Oatman
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Katherine
- Mesquite Creek [Mohave County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mesquite Creek
- Mesquite Creek [Mohave County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the west of Oatman
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mesquite Creek
- Willow Valley [Mohave County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Willow Valley
- Willow Valley [Mohave County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the southwest of Oatman
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Willow Valley have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Willow Valley
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Oatman. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- George Farley 'Boots' Grantham (Major League Baseball)
- Sam Kinison (Comedian)
- Comedian. He was born in Yakima (Washington) on Tueday December 8, 1953 and died in Needles (California) on Friday April 10, 1992 at the age of 38. He is buried at Memorial Park Cemetery (Tulsa County, Oklahoma).
- Needles is located 17 miles [27.4 km] to the southwest of Oatman.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Sam Kinison<4>
- Ella Mae Morse (Singer)
- Singer. She was born in Mansfield (Texas) on Friday September 12, 1924 and died in Bullhead City (Arizona) on Saturday October 16, 1999 at the age of 75.
- Bullhead City is located 13 miles [20.9 km] to the northwest of Oatman.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Ella Mae Morse<4>
How Far From Oatman to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Oatman to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Oatman and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Kingman, which is the Seat of Mohave County and lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the east northeast. If you could walk a straight line from Oatman to Kingman, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- Phoenix, which is the State Capital of Arizona, lies 170 miles [273.6 km] to the southeast (SE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take about three hours, a buggy would take 7 days and walking would take 10 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,063 miles [3,320.1 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 4 days, a buggy would take 81 days and walking would take 118 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,412 miles [11,928.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,180 miles [13,164.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 6,143 miles [9,886.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Arizona
About Mohave County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Oatman. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Mohave County: www.co.mohave.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Oatman) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Oatman. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Oatman
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Oatman. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.0266, Longitude: -114.3839
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Oatman to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.228 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.565 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 323.432 degrees.||