Our Genealogy Helper for McVay ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about McVay (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for McVay. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the northwest corner of their home county. During their lives, most doctors were in the next county to the west. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the north.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the west contained birth and death records; the county to the north contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
McVay is located in La Paz County.
To see how the shape of Arizona's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of La Paz County: Maricopa, Mohave, Yavapai, Yuma, Imperial (CA), Riverside (CA) & San Bernardino (CA).
Below are the counties that are near McVay. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to McVay:
- La Paz County (The home county of McVay)
- Vicksburg [La Paz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vicksburg
- Vicksburg [La Paz County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the southeast of McVay
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vicksburg
- Utting [La Paz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Utting
- Utting [La Paz County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the northwest of McVay
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Utting
- Brenda [La Paz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brenda
- Brenda [La Paz County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the southwest of McVay
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brenda
- Salome [La Paz County]
- Bouse [La Paz County]
- New Hope [La Paz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Hope
- New Hope [La Paz County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the south of McVay
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Hope
- Wenden [La Paz County]
- Harqua Hala [La Paz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Harqua Hala
- Harqua Hala [La Paz County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the southeast of McVay
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Harqua Hala. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Quartzsite [La Paz County]
- Swansea [La Paz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Swansea
- Swansea [La Paz County] was located 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the north of McVay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Swansea have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- La Paz Valley [La Paz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for La Paz Valley
- La Paz Valley [La Paz County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the southwest of McVay
- Jump to Google Maps centered on La Paz Valley
- Parker [La Paz County]
- Maricopa County
- Cullen's Well [Maricopa County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cullen's Well
- Cullen's Well [Maricopa County] was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the east of McVay
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Cullen's Well. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Aguila [Maricopa County]
- San Bernardino County (CA)
- Earp [San Bernardino County]
- Big River [San Bernardino County]
- Parker Dam [San Bernardino County]
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to McVay, see our County-by-County Page for McVay.
Newspapers Published in McVay ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 24 newspapers that have been published in the area around McVay.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of McVay, there are papers which were published within 34 miles [54.7 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for McVay.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to McVay:
- Websites specific to Arizona
- Pages specific to La Paz County
- Genealogy information for nearby counties
- Maricopa County
- San Bernardino County
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Arizona
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Arizona
- Stories from California
Cemeteries Near McVay ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of McVay.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for McVay covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Vicksburg Cemetery
- Dick Wick Hall Gravesite
- Salome Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Salome Pioneer Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Salome Pioneer Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Salome Pioneer Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the east of McVay.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Salome Pioneer Cemetery
- Bouse Cemetery
- Harqua Hala Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Harqua Hala Pioneer Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Harqua Hala Pioneer Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Harqua Hala Pioneer Cemetery lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the southeast of McVay.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Harqua Hala Pioneer Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2131108<5>
- Harrisburg Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Wenden Cemetery
- Hi Jolly Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hi Jolly Cemetery
- Hi Jolly Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the southwest of McVay.
- Hi Jolly Cemetery has also been known as:
- Quartzsite Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hi Jolly Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #1967612<5>
- Culling's Well Cemetery
- Lopez Ranch Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lopez Ranch Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Lopez Ranch Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Lopez Ranch Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the north of McVay.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lopez Ranch Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around McVay. See our List of 1890's Communities around McVay.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Arizona
About La Paz County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for McVay. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for La Paz County: www.co.la-paz.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- McVay) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for McVay. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from McVay
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in McVay. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 33.8115, Longitude: -113.8357
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|