Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in McNeal, we use the following websites to find information relevant to McNeal and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for McNeal:
- 31.600506, -109.670206
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on McNeal
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Cochise County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Cochise County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named McNeal ...
We have found three communities that share the name McNeal.
Within Arizona, the name McNeal is unique.
Beyond Arizona, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Calhoun County
- This community is historic<1> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Florida community of McNeal [Calhoun County].
- Jasper County
- This community is historic<1> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Mississippi community of McNeal [Jasper County].
- Huntingdon County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Pennsylvania community of McNeal [Huntingdon County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near McNeal ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Black Diamond [Cochise County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Black Diamond
- Black Diamond [Cochise County] was located 21 miles [33.8 km]<3> to the northwest of McNeal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Black Diamond have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Double Adobe [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Double Adobe
- Double Adobe [Cochise County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the south of McNeal
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Double Adobe
- Galena [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Galena
- Galena [Cochise County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the southwest of McNeal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Galena have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Galena
- Lewis Springs [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lewis Springs
- Lewis Springs [Cochise County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<3> to the west of McNeal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lewis Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lewis Springs
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Paul Spur [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paul Spur
- Paul Spur [Cochise County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the south of McNeal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Paul Spur have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paul Spur
- Stark [Cochise County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Stark
- Stark [Cochise County] was located 26 miles [41.8 km]<3> to the southwest of McNeal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Stark have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Tintown [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tintown
- Tintown [Cochise County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the southwest of McNeal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Tintown have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tintown
- Tombstone [Cochise County]
How Far From McNeal to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as McNeal to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in McNeal and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Bisbee, which is the Seat of Cochise County and lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the southwest. If you could walk a straight line from McNeal to Bisbee, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take five to six hours.
- Phoenix, which is the State Capital of Arizona, lies 189 miles [304.2 km] to the northwest (NW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take a little over three hours, a buggy would take 8 days and walking would take 11 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,896 miles [3,051.3 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 74 days and walking would take 108 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,488 miles [12,050.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,248 miles [13,273.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 6,163 miles [9,918.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Arizona
About Cochise County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for McNeal. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Cochise County: www.cochise.az.gov/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about McNeal, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that McNeal could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- McNeal) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for McNeal. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from McNeal
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in McNeal. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.6005, Longitude: -109.6702
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from McNeal to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 328.988 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 327.134 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.921 degrees.||