Welcome to Lochiel ...
So far, we have found very little information about Lochiel. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Lochiel to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Lochiel, please Contact Us.
Lochiel would have been located within present day Santa Cruz County<2>.
Lochiel was established in 1880.
The community of Lochiel was previously named Luttrell. Going back to its beginning, Lochiel was originally named Luttrell. For more information about the names of Lochiel, see The Names of Lochiel on our Genealogy Page.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Lochiel is 4,680 feet [1,426 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Lochiel is about ¾ mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Lochiel was located is in the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST) and does not observe daylight saving time
If Lochiel still existed, it would have been in the (520) area code.
Adding Lochiel to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
We originally found mention of Lochiel in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, we also found mention of Lochiel elsewhere: The earliest book where we found it mentioned was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Lochiel on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Lochiel ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 5 communities that are also named Lochiel - they are located in Indiana, Ontario, Pennsylvania (2) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Lochiel.
Communities near Lochiel ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Lochiel.
- Nogales [Santa Cruz County]
- Patagonia [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Patagonia
- Patagonia [Santa Cruz County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the northwest of Lochiel
- Estimated population in 2019: 874 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Patagonia
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Patagonia<5>
- Duquesne [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Duquesne
- Duquesne [Santa Cruz County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the northwest of Lochiel
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Duquesne
- Washington Camp [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Washington Camp
- Washington Camp [Santa Cruz County] was located 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the northwest of Lochiel
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Mowry [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mowry
- Mowry [Santa Cruz County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the northwest of Lochiel
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Mowry. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Harshaw [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Harshaw
- Harshaw [Santa Cruz County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the northwest of Lochiel
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Harshaw have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Kino Springs [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kino Springs
- Kino Springs [Santa Cruz County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the west of Lochiel
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kino Springs
- Sunnyside [Cochise County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunnyside
- Sunnyside [Cochise County] was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the northeast of Lochiel
- Beyerville [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beyerville
- Beyerville [Santa Cruz County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the west of Lochiel
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beyerville
- Canelo [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Canelo
- Canelo [Santa Cruz County] was located 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the northeast of Lochiel
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Canelo have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former name for Canelo:
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Lochiel. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Lochiel.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Lochiel. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Lochiel.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Lochiel. See our Newspapers Page for Lochiel.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Arizona
About Santa Cruz County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Santa Cruz County: www.co.santa-cruz.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Lochiel, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arizona's counties, including Santa Cruz, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Lochiel - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Lochiel) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Lochiel. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Lochiel
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lochiel. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.3358, Longitude: -110.6244
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|