Our Genealogy Helper for Keams Canyon ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Keams Canyon (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Keams Canyon. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Name Variations for Keams Canyon ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Various errors happen - anything from simple spelling to bad translations, abbreviations or people who just guessed at the name.
- A typical abbreviation for Keams Canyon: Keams Cyn. (or less commonly used: Keams Canyn. or Keams Cnyn.)
- While the name of this community is Keams Canyon, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<1>. So Keams Canyon may originally have been Keam's Canyon.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Keams Canyon might be written as Keam Canyon.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the southeast corner of their home county. During their lives, most doctors were in the next county to the east. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the south.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the east contained birth and death records; the county to the south contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Keams Canyon is located in Navajo County.
To see how the shape of Arizona's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Navajo County: Apache, Coconino, Gila, Graham & San Juan (UT).
Below are the counties that are near Keams Canyon. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Keams Canyon:
- Navajo County (The home county of Keams Canyon)
- Jeddito [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jeddito
- Jeddito [Navajo County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the southeast of Keams Canyon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Jeddito have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jeddito
- Low Mountain [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Low Mountain
- Low Mountain [Navajo County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the northeast of Keams Canyon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Low Mountain
- First Mesa [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for First Mesa
- First Mesa [Navajo County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the west of Keams Canyon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on First Mesa
- Polacca [Navajo County]
- Wepo Village [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wepo Village
- Wepo Village [Navajo County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the northwest of Keams Canyon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wepo Village have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wepo Village
- Hano [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hano
- Hano [Navajo County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the west of Keams Canyon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hano
- Walpi [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Walpi
- Walpi [Navajo County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the west of Keams Canyon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Walpi
- Second Mesa [Navajo County]
- Shongopovi [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shongopovi
- Shongopovi [Navajo County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the west of Keams Canyon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Shongopovi have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shongopovi
- Pinon [Navajo County]
- Tees Toh [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tees Toh
- Tees Toh [Navajo County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the southwest of Keams Canyon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tees Toh
- Kykotsmovi Village [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kykotsmovi Village
- Kykotsmovi Village [Navajo County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the west of Keams Canyon
- Kykotsmovi Village has also been known as:
- New Oraibi
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kykotsmovi Village
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Kykotsmovi Village<4>
- Oraibi [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oraibi
- Oraibi [Navajo County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the west of Keams Canyon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oraibi
- Apache County
- Toyei [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Toyei
- Toyei [Apache County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the southeast of Keams Canyon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Toyei
- Steamboat [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Steamboat
- Steamboat [Apache County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the east of Keams Canyon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Steamboat
- Cottonwood [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cottonwood
- Cottonwood [Apache County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the northeast of Keams Canyon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cottonwood
- Blue Gap [Apache County]
- Ganado [Apache County]
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Keams Canyon, see our County-by-County Page for Keams Canyon.
Newspapers Published in Keams Canyon ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 1 newspapers that have been published in the area around Keams Canyon.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Keams Canyon, there are papers which were published within 25 miles [40.2 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Keams Canyon.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Keams Canyon:
- Websites specific to Arizona
- Pages specific to Navajo County
- Genealogy information for nearby counties
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Arizona
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Arizona
Cemeteries Near Keams Canyon ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Keams Canyon.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Keams Canyon covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Bacavi Community Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bacavi Community Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Bacavi Community Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Bacavi Community Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the west of Keams Canyon.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bacavi Community Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2459002<6>
- Greasewood Community Cemetery
- Hotevilla Cemetery
- Indian Wells Community Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Keams Canyon. See our List of 1890's Communities around Keams Canyon.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions for Keams Canyon ...
While our initial data about Keams Canyon came from various goverment sources, we have found mention of Keams Canyon in old books and maps. When we do, we'll find a fact here or a snippet there. We've created the following list to keep track of the documents we found useful in adding to our knowledge about Keams Canyon.
We hope that the following list of documents will be of interest to you.
Map from 1930, unknown title/publisher
Both the GNIS and FIPS databases contain entries for Keams Canyon. See our Misc Page for Keams Canyon for more information.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Arizona
About Navajo County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Keams Canyon. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Navajo County: www.co.navajo.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Keams Canyon) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Keams Canyon. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Keams Canyon
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Keams Canyon. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.8124, Longitude: -110.1968
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<6>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|