Our Genealogy Helper for Kawaika-A ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Kawaika-A (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Kawaika-A. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the northeast corner of their home county. During their lives, most doctors were in the next county to the east. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the north.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the east contained birth and death records; the county to the north contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Kawaika-A is located in Navajo County.
To see how the shape of Arizona's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Navajo County: Apache, Coconino, Gila, Graham & San Juan (UT).
Below are the counties that are near Kawaika-A. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Kawaika-A:
- Navajo County (The home county of Kawaika-A)
- Keams Canyon [Navajo County]
- Jeddito [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jeddito
- Jeddito [Navajo County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the northeast of Kawaika-A
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Jeddito have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jeddito
- Polacca [Navajo County]
- First Mesa [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for First Mesa
- First Mesa [Navajo County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Kawaika-A
- Jump to Google Maps centered on First Mesa
- Hano [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hano
- Hano [Navajo County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Kawaika-A
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hano
- Walpi [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Walpi
- Walpi [Navajo County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Kawaika-A
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Walpi
- Wepo Village [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wepo Village
- Wepo Village [Navajo County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the northwest of Kawaika-A
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wepo Village have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wepo Village
- Low Mountain [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Low Mountain
- Low Mountain [Navajo County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the northeast of Kawaika-A
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Low Mountain
- Second Mesa [Navajo County]
- Shongopovi [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shongopovi
- Shongopovi [Navajo County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the west of Kawaika-A
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Shongopovi have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shongopovi
- Tees Toh [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tees Toh
- Tees Toh [Navajo County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Kawaika-A
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tees Toh
- Seba Dalkai [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seba Dalkai
- Seba Dalkai [Navajo County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the southwest of Kawaika-A
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Seba Dalkai
- Apache County
- Toyei [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Toyei
- Toyei [Apache County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the east of Kawaika-A
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Toyei
- Steamboat [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Steamboat
- Steamboat [Apache County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the east of Kawaika-A
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Steamboat
- Cottonwood [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cottonwood
- Cottonwood [Apache County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the northeast of Kawaika-A
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cottonwood
- Blue Gap [Apache County]
- Ganado [Apache County]
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Kawaika-A, see our County-by-County Page for Kawaika-A.
Newspapers Published in Kawaika-A ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 1 newspapers that have been published in the area around Kawaika-A.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Kawaika-A, there are papers which were published within 25 miles [40.2 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Kawaika-A.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Kawaika-A:
- Websites specific to Arizona
- Pages specific to Navajo County
- Genealogy information for nearby counties
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Arizona
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Arizona
Cemeteries Near Kawaika-A ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Kawaika-A.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Kawaika-A covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Indian Wells Community Cemetery
- Greasewood Community Cemetery
- Bacavi Community Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bacavi Community Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Bacavi Community Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Bacavi Community Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the northwest of Kawaika-A.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bacavi Community Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2459002<4>
- Hotevilla Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Kawaika-A. See our List of 1890's Communities around Kawaika-A.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Arizona
About Navajo County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Kawaika-A. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Navajo County: www.co.navajo.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Kawaika-A) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kawaika-A. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.7447, Longitude: -110.2207 In this case, the coordinates for Kawaika-A have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|