Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Grasshopper, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Grasshopper and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Grasshopper:
- 34.075701, -110.630367
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Grasshopper
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Grasshopper ...
We have found one communities that share the name Grasshopper.
Within Arizona, the name Grasshopper is unique.
Beyond Arizona, there is another community also named Grasshopper in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Hamilton County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Tennessee community of Grasshopper [Hamilton County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Grasshopper ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bear Flat [Gila County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bear Flat
- Bear Flat [Gila County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the northwest of Grasshopper
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bear Flat
- Cedar Creek [Gila County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cedar Creek
- Cedar Creek [Gila County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the southeast of Grasshopper
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cedar Creek
- Cedar Creek Crossing [Gila County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cedar Creek Crossing
- Cedar Creek Crossing [Gila County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the southeast of Grasshopper
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cedar Creek Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cedar Creek Crossing
- Clay Springs [Navajo County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Dagger [Gila County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dagger
- Dagger [Gila County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the south of Grasshopper
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dagger have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dagger
- Forest Lakes [Coconino County]
- Hunter Creek Ranch [Gila County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hunter Creek Ranch
- Hunter Creek Ranch [Gila County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the northwest of Grasshopper
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hunter Creek Ranch have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hunter Creek Ranch
- Mountain Meadow [Gila County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mountain Meadow
- Mountain Meadow [Gila County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Grasshopper
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mountain Meadow have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain Meadow
- Sleepy Hollow [Gila County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sleepy Hollow
- Sleepy Hollow [Gila County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the northwest of Grasshopper
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sleepy Hollow have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sleepy Hollow
- Young [Gila County]
How Far From Grasshopper to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Grasshopper to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Grasshopper and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Holbrook, which is the Seat of Navajo County and lies 63 miles [101.4 km]<2> to the north northeast. If you could walk a straight line from Grasshopper to Holbrook, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- Phoenix, which is the State Capital of Arizona, lies 93 miles [149.7 km] to the west southwest (WSW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 6 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,883 miles [3,030.4 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 74 days and walking would take 107 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,369 miles [11,859.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,133 miles [13,088.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 6,065 miles [9,760.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Arizona
About Navajo County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Grasshopper. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Navajo County: www.co.navajo.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Grasshopper could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Grasshopper) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Grasshopper. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Grasshopper
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Grasshopper. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 34.0757, Longitude: -110.6304 In this case, the coordinates for Grasshopper have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Grasshopper to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 330.127 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.745 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.387 degrees.||