Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Brannon, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Brannon and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Brannon:
- 35.817858, -93.946309
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Brannon
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Brannon ...
We have found three communities that share the name Brannon.
Within Arkansas, the name Brannon is unique.
Beyond Arkansas, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Jessamine County
- This community is historic<1> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Kentucky community of Brannon [Jessamine County].
- Iberia Parish
- This Brannon is located in Iberia Parish and lies 420 miles [675.9 km]<2> to the south southeast of the Brannon that is located in Madison County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brannon
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Iberia Parish community of Brannon.
- South Carolina
- Spartanburg County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<3> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the South Carolina community of Brannon [Spartanburg County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Brannon ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cannon Creek [Madison County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cannon Creek
- Cannon Creek [Madison County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the north of Brannon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cannon Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cannon Creek
- Combs [Madison County]
- Crosses [Madison County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crosses
- Crosses [Madison County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the northeast of Brannon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Crosses have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crosses
- Hazel Valley [Washington County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hazel Valley
- Hazel Valley [Washington County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the northwest of Brannon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hazel Valley
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Health [Madison County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Health
- Health [Madison County] lies less than 2 miles<2> to the south of Brannon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Health have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Health
- Mountain Crest [Franklin County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mountain Crest
- Mountain Crest [Franklin County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<2> to the southeast of Brannon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mountain Crest have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain Crest
- Patrick [Madison County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Patrick
- Patrick [Madison County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the northeast of Brannon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Patrick have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Patrick
- Porters Store [Washington County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Porters Store
- Porters Store [Washington County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the northwest of Brannon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Porters Store have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Sunset [Washington County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunset
- Sunset [Washington County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the west of Brannon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sunset have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunset
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Brannon. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Roy Buchanan (Musician)
- Musician. He was born in Ozark (Arkansas) on Saturday September 23, 1939 and died in Fairfax Hills (Virginia) on Sunday August 14, 1988 at the age of 48. He is buried at Columbia Gardens Cemetery (Arlington County, Virginia).
- Ozark is located 23 miles [37 km] to the south of Brannon.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Roy Buchanan<6>
- Paul 'Daffy' Dean (Major League Baseball)
- Major League Baseball. He was born in Lucas (Arkansas) on Thursday August 14, 1913 and died in Springdale (Arkansas) on Tueday March 17, 1981 at the age of 67. He is buried at Oakland Memorial Cemetery (Johnson County, Arkansas).
- Springdale is located 27 miles [43.5 km] to the north of Brannon.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Paul 'Daffy' Dean<6>
- John Sherman 'Sherm' Lollar (Major League Baseball)
How Far From Brannon to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Brannon to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Brannon and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Huntsville, which is the Seat of Madison County and lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the north northeast. If you could walk a straight line from Brannon to Huntsville, with an average speed<7> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- Little Rock, which is the State Capital of Arkansas, lies 120 miles [193.1 km] to the southeast (SE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take about two hours, a buggy would take 5 days and walking would take 7 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 950 miles [1,528.9 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take most of two days, a buggy would take 38 days and walking would take 54 days.
- The shortest distance<8> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,719 miles [10,813.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,455 miles [11,997.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,335 miles [8,585.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<11>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Arkansas Community
About Madison County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Brannon. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Arkansas: https://portal.arkansas.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Brannon, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Brannon) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Brannon. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.8179, Longitude: -93.9463 In this case, the coordinates for Brannon have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Brannon could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<7>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<8>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Brannon to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 318.367 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 315.036 degrees.|
|<11>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 312.945 degrees.||