Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Klukwan, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Klukwan and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Klukwan:
- 59.403889, -135.884444
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Klukwan
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Klukwan ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Covenant Life
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Covenant Life
- Covenant Life lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the west of Klukwan
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Covenant Life have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Covenant Life
- Mosquito Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mosquito Lake
- Mosquito Lake lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Klukwan
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mosquito Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mosquito Lake
- Mud Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mud Bay
- Mud Bay lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the southeast of Klukwan
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mud Bay have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mud Bay
- Pleasant Camp
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pleasant Camp
- Pleasant Camp lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the west of Klukwan
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pleasant Camp came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pleasant Camp
- Rainy Hollow
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rainy Hollow
- Rainy Hollow lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the northwest of Klukwan
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rainy Hollow came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rainy Hollow
How Far From Klukwan to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Klukwan to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Klukwan and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 92 miles [148.1 km]<1> to the southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Klukwan to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 6 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,886 miles [4,644.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 6 days, a buggy would take 113 days and walking would take 164 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,112 miles [9,836.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,842 miles [11,011.1 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,204 miles [8,375 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Klukwan. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Klukwan) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Klukwan. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Klukwan
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Klukwan. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 59.4039, Longitude: -135.8844 In this case, the coordinates for Klukwan have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Klukwan to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 352.457 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 355.957 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 336.187 degrees.||