Welcome to Rainy Hollow ...
Although we found mention of Rainy Hollow during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Rainy Hollow was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Rainy Hollow to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Rainy Hollow, please Contact Us.
A typical abbreviation for Rainy Hollow: Rainy Holw. (or less commonly used: Rainy Hlw. or Rainy Hllw.)
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Rainy Hollow might be (or was) located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: PST- Heure Normale du Pacifique (HNP), PDT- Heure Avancée du Pacifique (HAP).
Note: If you travel east from Rainy Hollow, you will leave Pacific Time and cross into the Alaskan Time Zone (AKST/AKDT).
We believe that Rainy Hollow would be found within the (250) & (778)<2> area codes.
Communities near Rainy Hollow ...
We have created a list of 5 communities that are near Rainy Hollow.
- Mosquito Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mosquito Lake
- Mosquito Lake lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<3> to the east of Rainy Hollow
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mosquito Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mosquito Lake
- Covenant Life
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Covenant Life
- Covenant Life lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the southeast of Rainy Hollow
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Covenant Life have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Covenant Life
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wells
- Wells lies 23 miles [37 km]<3> to the southeast of Rainy Hollow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wells
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chilkat
- Chilkat lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<3> to the southeast of Rainy Hollow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chilkat
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Klukwan
- Klukwan lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<3> to the southeast of Rainy Hollow
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Klukwan have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Klukwan
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for British Columbia
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Rainy Hollow and then turned east". While Rainy Hollow could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Rainy Hollow as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Rainy Hollow could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Area code (778) is an overlay for area code (250).|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Rainy Hollow) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Rainy Hollow. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 59.5500, Longitude: -136.5333
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|