Welcome to Spirit River ...
A typical abbreviation for Spirit River: Spirit Riv.
The town of Spirit River is 2,080 feet [634 m] above sea level.<1>.
Time Zone: Spirit River lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Telephone area codes for Spirit River: (780) & (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Spirit River: T0H<3>
Communities near Spirit River ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Spirit River.
- Rycroft (5 miles [8 km] to the east)
- Poplar Ridge (12 miles [19.3 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Poplar Ridge
- Poplar Ridge lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the northwest of Spirit River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Poplar Ridge came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Poplar Ridge
- Woking (12 miles [19.3 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Woking
- Woking lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the south of Spirit River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Woking came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Woking
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Woking<5>
- Dunvegan (13 miles [20.9 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dunvegan
- Dunvegan lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the northeast of Spirit River
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dunvegan
- Fort Dunvegan (13 miles [20.9 km] to the northeast) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fort Dunvegan
- Fort Dunvegan was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the northeast of Spirit River
- Blueberry Mountain (15 miles [24.1 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blueberry Mountain
- Blueberry Mountain lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the northwest of Spirit River
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blueberry Mountain
- Wanham (17 miles [27.4 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wanham
- Wanham lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the east of Spirit River
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wanham
- Belloy (23 miles [37 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Belloy
- Belloy lies 23 miles [37 km]<4> to the east of Spirit River
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Belloy
- Peoria (24 miles [38.6 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Peoria
- Peoria lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<4> to the southeast of Spirit River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Peoria came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Peoria
- Webster (24 miles [38.6 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Webster
- Webster lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<4> to the south of Spirit River
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Webster
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Spirit River ...
Looking for more information about Spirit River? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Spirit River, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Spirit River.
Adding Spirit River to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Spirit River was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Spirit River on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Spirit River
The Communities of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Spirit River. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Spirit River - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (780).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Spirit River). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Spirit River or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Spirit River) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Spirit River. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Spirit RiverOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Spirit River. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.7785, Longitude: -118.8366 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|