Curious and Interesting Names Near Ribstone ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blackfoot
- Blackfoot lies 40 miles [64.4 km]<1> to the north of Ribstone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackfoot
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Czar
- Czar lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the southwest of Ribstone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Czar
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Greenshields came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenshields
- Greenshields lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the west of Ribstone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenshields
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Lone Rock
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lone Rock came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lone Rock
- Lone Rock lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the northeast of Ribstone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lone Rock
- Paradise Valley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Paradise Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paradise Valley
- Paradise Valley lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the north of Ribstone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paradise Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Primate
- Primate lies 36 miles [57.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Ribstone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Primate
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Yonker came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Yonker
- Yonker lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the east of Ribstone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yonker
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Ribstone. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- John McLiam (Actor)
- Actor. He was born in Hayter (Alberta) on Thursday January 24, 1918 and died in Los Angeles (California) on Saturday April 16, 1994 at the age of 76. He is buried at Santa Barbara Cemetery (Santa Barbara County, California).
- Hayter is located 25 miles [40.2 km] to the south of Ribstone.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: John McLiam<4>
How Far From Ribstone to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Ribstone to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Ribstone and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 146 miles [235 km]<1> to the west northwest (WNW). If you could drive a straight line from Ribstone to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,624 miles [2,613.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 64 days and walking would take 93 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,236 miles [10,035.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,004 miles [11,271.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,060 miles [8,143.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Ribstone. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Ribstone) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Ribstone. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Ribstone
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ribstone. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.7102, Longitude: -110.2650
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Ribstone to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.216 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.733 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.17 degrees.||