Communities Also Named Red Deer ...
We have found one communities that share the name Red Deer.
Within Alberta, the name Red Deer is unique.
Beyond Alberta, there is another community also named Red Deer in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Douglas County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Kansas community of Red Deer [Douglas County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Red Deer ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Birchcliff
- Birchcliff lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Red Deer
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Birchcliff came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Birchcliff
- Gull Lake
- Half Moon Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Half Moon Bay
- Half Moon Bay lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the west of Red Deer
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Half Moon Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Markerville
- Markerville lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the west of Red Deer
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Markerville came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Markerville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Markerville<4>
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Rosedale Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rosedale Valley
- Rosedale Valley lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the north of Red Deer
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rosedale Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rosedale Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Springbrook
- Springbrook lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the southwest of Red Deer
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Springbrook
- Spruce View
- Sunbreaker Cove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunbreaker Cove
- Sunbreaker Cove lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the northwest of Red Deer
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sunbreaker Cove came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunbreaker Cove
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Red Deer. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- George Trenholm Allen (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born on Monday July 27, 1914 and died in Red Deer on Monday March 27, 2000 at the age of 85. He is buried at Alto Reste Cemetery (Alberta).
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: George Trenholm Allen<5>
- Oscar Ingolfur 'Ossie' Asmundson (Professional hockey)
How Far From Red Deer to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Red Deer to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Red Deer and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 89 miles [143.2 km]<2> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Red Deer to Edmonton, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 5 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,772 miles [2,851.8 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 101 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,331 miles [10,188.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,098 miles [11,423.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,178 miles [8,333.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Red Deer: www.reddeer.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Red Deer could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Red Deer) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Red Deer. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Red DeerOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Red Deer. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.2691, Longitude: -113.8115 |
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Red Deer to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.06 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.919 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.591 degrees.||