Curious and Interesting Names Near Philomena ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Beaver Lake (30 miles [48.3 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beaver Lake
- Beaver Lake lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the south of Philomena
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beaver Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beaver Lake
- Imperial Mills (13 miles [20.9 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Imperial Mills
- Imperial Mills lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the south of Philomena
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Imperial Mills
- Owl River (22 miles [35.4 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Owl River
- Owl River lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the southwest of Philomena
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Owl River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Owl River
- Tweedie (21 miles [33.8 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tweedie
- Tweedie lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the south of Philomena
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Tweedie came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tweedie
- Wandering River (33 miles [53.1 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wandering River
- Wandering River lies 33 miles [53.1 km]<1> to the west of Philomena
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wandering River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wandering River
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wandering River<3>
How Far From Philomena to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Philomena to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Philomena and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 135 miles [217.3 km]<1> to the southwest (SW). If you could drive a straight line from Philomena to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 8 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,697 miles [2,731.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 67 days and walking would take 97 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,112 miles [9,836.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,878 miles [11,069.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,967 miles [7,993.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Philomena
Find a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Philomena. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Philomena) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Philomena. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.1756, Longitude: -111.6233 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Philomena to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.296 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.175 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.575 degrees.||