Our Genealogy Helper for Penhold ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Penhold (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Penhold. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Penhold:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Penhold ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Penhold.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Penhold covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Horn Hill Cemetery
- Innisfail Cemetery
- Red Deer Cemetery
- Mt. Calvary RC Cemetery
- Alto Reste Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Alto Reste Cemetery
- The Alto Reste Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the east of Red Deer.Alto Reste Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the northeast of Penhold.
- Alto Reste Cemetery has also been known as:
- Alto - Reste Memorial Gardens
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alto Reste Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2131209<1>
- Lakeview Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lakeview Cemetery
- Lakeview Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the northwest of Penhold.
- Lakeview Cemetery has also been known as:
- Lake View Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lakeview Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2379295<1>
- Continue List ...
- West Meadows Cemetery
- Aspelund Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Aspelund Cemetery
- The Aspelund Cemetery is located 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Red Deer.More accurately, Aspelund Cemetery lies 16 miles [25.7 km] to the north of Penhold.
- Aspelund Cemetery has also been known as:
- Aspeland Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aspelund Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2500225<1>
- Holy Trinity Anglican Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Holy Trinity Anglican Church Cemetery
- Holy Trinity Anglican Church Cemetery lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the east of Penhold.
- Holy Trinity Anglican Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Holy Trinity Cemetery
- Pine Lake Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holy Trinity Anglican Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2445412<1>
- Blackfalds Cemetery
- Bentley Colony Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bentley Colony Cemetery
- The Bentley Colony Cemetery is located 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the northwest of Bentley.More precisely, Bentley Colony Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km] to the north of Penhold.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bentley Colony Cemetery
- Kuusamo Cemetery
- Woody Nook Christian Reformed Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Woody Nook Christian Reformed Church Cemetery
- Woody Nook Christian Reformed Church Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the north of Penhold.
- Woody Nook Christian Reformed Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Woody Nook Cemetery
- Woody Nook Christian Reformed Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Woody Nook Christian Reformed Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2663035<1>
- Mayton Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mayton Cemetery
- The Mayton Cemetery is located outside and to the northwest of Torrington.More precisely, Mayton Cemetery lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the south of Penhold.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mayton Cemetery
- Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- The Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery is located 2 miles [3.2 km]<2> to the north of Bentley.To be more accurate, Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km] to the north of Penhold.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Penhold. See our List of 1890's Communities around Penhold.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions for Penhold ...
While our initial data about Penhold came from various goverment sources, we have found mention of Penhold in old books and maps. When we do, we'll find a fact here or a snippet there. We've created the following list to keep track of the documents we found useful in adding to our knowledge about Penhold.
We hope that the following list of documents will be of interest to you.
SPV's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America - Western Canada
(Available from Amazon.com)
Written by: Walker, Mike
Published by Steam Powered Video (SPV), 2006
Shell Oil Road Map for Southern Alberta (1951)
Published by Shell Oil Company
for Penhold. See our Misc Page for Penhold for more information.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Penhold: www.penhold.com/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Penhold) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Penhold. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from PenholdOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Penhold. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.1333, Longitude: -113.8667 |