Our Genealogy Helper for Owendale ...
Although we found mention of Owendale during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Owendale was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Owendale (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Owendale. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Owendale:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Owendale ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Owendale.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Owendale covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Aetna Cemetery
- Taylorville Cemetery
- Cardston Cemetery
- St. Paul's Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Paul's Cemetery
- St. Paul's Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the northwest of Owendale.
- St. Paul's Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Paul's Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Paul's Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2483310<3>
- Leavitt Cemetery
- Beazer Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Beazer Cemetery
- Beazer Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the west of Owendale.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beazer Cemetery
- Mountain View Cemetery
- Caldwell - Moir Cemetery
- Hillspring Pioneer Cemetery
- Glenwood Cemetery
- Hill Spring Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hill Spring Cemetery
- Hill Spring Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the northwest of Owendale.
- Hill Spring Cemetery has also been known as:
- Hillspring Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hill Spring Cemetery
- Magrath Cemetery
- Continue List (8 more) ...
- Hartley Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hartley Cemetery
- Hartley Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Owendale.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hartley Cemetery
- Fishburn Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Fishburn Cemetery
- Fishburn Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the northwest of Owendale.
- Fishburn Cemetery has also been known as:
- Fishburn United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fishburn Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Owendale. See our List of 1890's Communities around Owendale.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Owendale
Find a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Owendale and then turned west". While Owendale could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Owendale as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Owendale could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Alberta community named Owendale.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Owendale) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Owendale. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.0873, Longitude: -113.2093 |
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|