Curious and Interesting Names Near North Vermilion ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Buffalo Head Prairie (15 miles [24.1 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Buffalo Head Prairie
- Buffalo Head Prairie lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the south of North Vermilion
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Buffalo Head Prairie came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Buffalo Head Prairie
- High Level (40 miles [64.4 km] to the west)
- Rocky Lane (9 miles [14.5 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rocky Lane
- Rocky Lane lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the northwest of North Vermilion
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rocky Lane
How Far From North Vermilion to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as North Vermilion to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in North Vermilion and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 348 miles [560.1 km]<1> to the south southeast (SSE). If you could drive a straight line from North Vermilion to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 20 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 14 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,898 miles [3,054.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 75 days and walking would take 108 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,985 miles [9,631.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,746 miles [10,856.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,900 miles [7,885.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for North Vermilion. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- North Vermilion) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in North Vermilion. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 58.4000, Longitude: -116.0333 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from North Vermilion to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.837 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 337.407 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.955 degrees.||