Curious and Interesting Names Near Netook ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dickson came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dickson
- Dickson lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the northwest of Netook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dickson
- Eagle Hill
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Eagle Hill came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eagle Hill
- Eagle Hill lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the west of Netook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eagle Hill
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Markerville came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Markerville
- Markerville lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the north of Netook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Markerville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Markerville<3>
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Olds came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Olds
- Olds lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the south of Netook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Olds
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Olds<3>
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Raven came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Raven
- Raven lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the northwest of Netook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Raven
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Springbrook
- Springbrook lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the north of Netook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Springbrook
- Spruce View
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunnyslope
- Sunnyslope lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the southeast of Netook
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunnyslope
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Netook. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- George Trenholm Allen (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born on Monday July 27, 1914 and died in Red Deer (Alberta) on Monday March 27, 2000 at the age of 85. He is buried at Alto Reste Cemetery (Alberta).
- Red Deer is located 28 miles [45.1 km] to the north of Netook.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: George Trenholm Allen<4>
- Oscar Ingolfur 'Ossie' Asmundson (Professional hockey)
- Gary Ralph Buck (Musician)
- Musician. He was born on Thursday March 21, 1940 and died in Didsbury (Alberta) on Wednesday October 15, 2003 at the age of 63. He is buried at Didsbury Cemetery (Alberta).
- Didsbury is located 15 miles [24.1 km] to the south of Netook.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Gary Ralph Buck<4>
How Far From Netook to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Netook to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Netook and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 117 miles [188.3 km]<2> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Netook to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 7 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 5 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,782 miles [2,867.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 102 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,360 miles [10,235.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,126 miles [11,468.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,206 miles [8,378.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Netook. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Netook) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Netook. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Netook
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Netook. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.8821, Longitude: -114.0458
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Netook to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.244 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.096 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.809 degrees.||