Curious and Interesting Names Near Minnewanka Landing ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Anthracite ‑ Historic
(3 miles [4.8 km] to the south)
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Anthracite. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Anthracite
- Castle Mountain
(18 miles [29 km] to the west)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Castle Mountain came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Castle Mountain
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Castle Mountain
- Dead Man's Flats
(17 miles [27.4 km] to the southeast)
- Eisenhower Junction
(18 miles [29 km] to the west)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Eisenhower Junction came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eisenhower Junction
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Eisenhower Junction
- Georgetown ‑ Historic
(10 miles [16.1 km] to the south)
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Georgetown. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Georgetown
- Ghost Lake
(31 miles [49.9 km] to the east)
- Lake Louise
(32 miles [51.5 km] to the west)
- Water Valley
(39 miles [62.8 km] to the northeast)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Water Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Water Valley
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Water Valley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Water Valley <3>
How Far From Minnewanka Landing to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Minnewanka Landing to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<4> community of Minnewanka Landing once stood, the straight-line distance<5> beginning in Minnewanka Landing and extending to:
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 178 miles [286.5 km]<5> to the north northeast (NNE). If you could drive a straight line from Minnewanka Landing to Edmonton, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 11 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,845 miles [2,969.2 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 72 days and walking would take 105 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,425 miles [10,340 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,191 miles [11,572.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,278 miles [8,494.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<2>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Minnewanka Landing, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Minnewanka Landing) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Minnewanka Landing. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Minnewanka LandingOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Minnewanka Landing. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.2512, Longitude: -115.4836 |
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Minnewanka Landing to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.394 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 336.357 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.855 degrees.||